Coffee Shop

-SINCE THE LAST UPDATE WAS SO SHORT, I MADE THIS ONE A LITTLE LONGER. SORRY FOR TAKING SO LONG, I'LL TRY TO WRITE MORE. HOPE YOU ENJOY! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following week was very hectic. My office had many emergency cases coming in, even when we were closed. I had lots of new patients and at least one surgery was scheduled each day. My mind was so full of stress that by Friday night, I just wanted to chill. 

I got home to my quiet apartment and immediately changed out of my scrubs. I chose black, baggy sweatpants, my Rolling Stones shirt, and white Nike socks. My cat, Paisley, came in to greet me. I could hear the little bell on her collar jingle as she ran up the stairs. I put my hair into a messy bun and switched from my contacts to my glasses. It felt really good to be wearing something different. 

As I was putting my stuff away, I realized that I never finished updating my patients charts for the day. I was so busy that I hadn't thought of it until now. I looked around my apartment, knowing I'd be distracted on other things if I tried to work here. I decided to go to the coffee shop around the corner. All throughout college, I would go there late a night when I needed to finish a paper or project. In some ways, it is kind of like my office.

I threw on my Uggs and grabbed my stuff. The walk was only a few minutes an before I knew it, I was sitting at my favorite table. One of the waiters, James, came over to take my order. 

"Hey, Rachel! What can I get for you?" he said.

"My usual. It's going to be a long night." I replied. As I was pulling out my laptop, he brought me my latte and wrap. "Thanks James" I said, giving him a smile. He nodded off and there, I began to work. 

ONE HOUR LATER

Many people came and went throughout the coffee shop. It was starting to get dark outside. I looked up, realizing I was the only customer left. I still have one more chart to update. I decided to get up and order something else. The food display showed all different kinds of cakes and croissants. I picked a slice of banana bread. As I ordered, I heard the door ring. Someone else came in and stood behind me in line. I didn't think to look and see who it is, even though I could feel their presence behind me. 

I took a seat back at my table and preceded to finish working. James brought out my banana bread, along with a cup of water, which I was very grateful for. I was about to start eating when I heard a voice. It was coming from behind me. 

"Can I sit with you?" it said.

Without even thinking, I said "Sure". It must be one of my habits from being a dental hygienist- always saying yes when people ask me questions. The same tall man with fluffy, brown hair slid into the seat facing me. It took me a second before I realized, it was Shawn.