Aaliyah

I finished Mr. Philips check-up as quickly as I could. It went by a lot slower than usual. All I could think about was Shawn. Knowing that he was sitting there, down the hallway, at this very moment.

Dr. Stevens came in and did the final check. He gave Mr. Philips the 'all clear' thumbs up. I proceeded to start cleaning my room as both of them walked out. Since I already knew that Aaliyah had a fear, I got some things out from the cabinet that could hopefully help her. 

I plugged in an oil diffuser to cover up the smell of my exam room. For some patients, the scent of sterile equipment and medical offices makes them anxious. I also pulled out a blanket and few sensory toys that she could hold while I was examining her. Once my room was ready, I walked up to the front of the office. 

"Aaliyah?" I said, looking around. Shawn stepped out from around the corner.

"She said she had to go to the bathroom but she's been in there for awhile. I can't get her to come out." he said. I nodded my head and stepped towards the door to the girls bathroom.

"Hey Aaliyah. My name is Rachel, I'm a friend of Shawn's. Do you mind if I come in?" I said calmly. I heard the lock switch as the door cracked open. "Stay here" I told Shawn. I slid into the bathroom and closed the door again. Aaliyah was sitting on the floor to the right. I took a seat right next to her, setting my hand on her back. She didn't look up.

"Hey, there's no need to be afraid." I said. I could near sniffles coming out of her crossed arms. "I am here to help you, we will take it just one step at a time." I smiled. She unfolded her arms and glanced up at me. 

"I'm just really anxious. What if something bad happens?" she said, wiping a tear from her face.

"I promise, you can trust me." I replied, patting her back. We continued to talk for a few minutes and I tried to make her feel more calm. "Hey, want to hear something that might make you feel better?" I said. She nodded. "I cleaned Shawn's teeth a few days ago. Everything that I do to you today, I've already done to him. Did he tell you that?" I smiled.

"No" she looked confused.

"Well sometimes boys are a little stupid" I laughed. I could see her start to grin. "Do you really think Shawn would take you to a dentist that he didn't trust?"

"No" she sighed. 

"Well, why don't we go and get started? I promise I will be super gentle and quick!" I asked.

"Okay" she said hesitantly. I took her hand led her out of the bathroom. Shawn was waiting on the other side of the door. When we came out, a surprised look appeared on his face.

"How did you do that?" he whispered as we led her down the hall to my exam room. I just smiled and rubbed Aaliyah's back, reminding her that everything was going to be okay. We got to my room and I closed the door behind us. Shawn took a seat next to the foot of the dental chair while Aaliyah remained standing. I pulled up her file and projected it onto the monitors, looking at what I was going to need to do.

"Okay Aaliyah, it looks like we will need to take some x-rays. Can you take a seat for me?" I said, patting the dental chair. She hesitated at first but finally sat down. Both Shawn and I smiled at her. I laid the protection apron over her chest and got the mouthpieces ready. After a few seconds, I was ready to take the x-rays.

"So I am just going to slide this little piece into your mouth and position it. It might feel uncomfortable but I will be super quick. Shawn, you will need to leave the room while we are taking the actual x-rays." I said. She took a deep breath and opened her mouth, allowing me to slide the mouthpiece in and set it in the correct position. Shawn leaned over and squeezed her hand, then got up and left the room. I followed behind him as I took the x-rays.

After finishing as quick as I could, we both came back in and I started to set up my trays of tools. Both Shawn and I noticed that she was starting to worry.

"Would you like a blanket?" I asked. She nodded yes and laid it on top of her, while also handing her a sensory toy to hold. Shawn started to play with her fingers. I finished setting up and sat down, putting on my mask. Aaliyah noticed and started to take more deep breaths.

"I am just going to lay the chair back now. Remember, we are going to take things slow." I said. I tapped the button with my foot and the chair started to go down, parallel to the floor. I snapped on some gloves and rolled my seat right under her head. After positioning the light right above her mouth and sliding over my tray of tools, I was ready to begin.