A Streetcar Named Desire

One part inspired by Tiye28 story Essence of You (check it out on amazon! Search up Tiye Love). One part inspired by When A Man Loves a Woman starring Meg Ryan.

There's a song up above for your listening pleasure! I had it on repeat while writing this. ❤️

"All right, my loves! I'll call ya'll when I make it home!" I called out to my two friends, Jamila & Tiffany, who I'd spent the day with.  The three of us were definitely on our black girl magic today with our natural hair flowing down our backs as our brightly colored maxi dresses blew in the breeze after a long day of enjoying all the french quarter had to offer. The sun was finally setting, allowing cool air from the Mississippi River to cool off the Crescent City as the moon began to make it's appearance in the Louisiana sky along with twinkling stars.

"You had better!"
"Love you girl!"

They shouted at me as they were walking away. I waved them off as I climbed up the steps of the trolley I decided to catch for a ride home in on Canal Boulevard. I was finally ready to get home and put my feet up after such a long day of hitting the pavement on a perfect, 75 degree fall day.

I paid my fare with a polite smile to the driver before turning to find a seat. It was then that I noticed that the trolley was empty sans a very handsome stranger who was seated towards the back with earbuds in his ears. He did a double take as he took notice of me before giving me a warm & inviting smile, making my heart skip a beat. The handsome stranger had the deepest set of dimples with two glittering gold caps decorating his canine teeth. If I were honest, the grill in his mouth made me swoon internally, but I couldn't let him see me sweat of course. He was probably used to women throwing themselves at him with the way he looked.

"Why don't you come sit back here with me, ma!" He called to me with a wink and a bite of his lips, a clear Oakland accent present in his voice.

I play shy & smiled at him before walking down the walkway to my chosen seat, the one right across from his own in the row adjacent, with the aisle of the trolley separating us. I threw him a fake smile as I took my seat, and he chuckled at my disregard of his invitation with a shake of his head.

As the trolley finally began its journey to its destination at the it's stop in Audubon Park, I sat back comfortably into my seat, turning to look out of the window at the city I called home. The quiet lull of the car coupled with the silence my fellow passenger & I fell into made the atmosphere a peaceful kind of calm. It reminded me of all those nights I used to ride on the streetcar with my maw-maw as we made our way home from her job at a local boutique. She was one of the finest seamstresses on this side of the river, and was high in demand. She took great pride in her work, and loved having me as her helper during my summer vacations from school. I missed those days somethin' serious.

"So where are you headin', beautiful?" I heard handsome stranger ask, snapping me out of my walk down memory lane.

I looked him up & down with disdain. I was confused as to why he was even speaking to me when I was pretty sure I was giving off don't-fuck-with-me energy. "Why would you be asking me that exactly?" I asked him before crossing my arms over my chest.

He smirked at my body language before bouncing his way into the empty space beside me before I could even protest. He invaded my space, moving into my face until his lips were an inch from mine. "Cause if you don't have plans, maybe I ca' take you back to my place." He spoke with a bite of his full bottom lip.

"How could someone so fine be so annoying?"I thought to myself.

I opened my mouth to respond to his foolishness with a snarky remark, but he cut me off. "Now before you say no, I just want you to know that I can cook." He said with hope in his eyes.