Thoughtlessly

Ryan yawned as he stood behind the counter of the café. It was quiet, and the morning sun gently but beautifully lit the café. Ryan liked the way the "floating" light bulbs looked in the café with the sun making them look lit. 

The plants were already watered, and the café was clean. Ryan yawned again as he leaned half his body on the counter. The café always had one customer at seven in the morning, but she had already picked up her smoothie. 

Ryan closed his eyes. "Why are we open so early for only one person in the morning. It's ALMOST EIGHT!... I don't want to be here..." He sighed. 

The bell on the door rang, cuing someone walked in. Ryan jumped up with a smile on his face. "Good morning! Welcome to-- oh. Morning Shiro." 

Shiro laughed. Her light brown hair shined in the morning sun, and Ryan thought her hair looked quite nice. 

"Morning, Ryan," Shiro said as she walked toward the door that opened to the back of the counter. She closed it behind herself. "Sorry I'm late." 

Ryan shrugged. "Eh. The morning rush won't be here till about eight-thirty. Why were you late?" 

"I hung out with Myra, she was upset." 

Ryan turned away. "Oh. I see." 

Myra watched Ryan's stature change as she put her apron on. "She didn't tell you?" 

Ryan frowned. "Why would she tell me anything," he scoffed. "It's not like I care about her or try to go out of my way to hang out with her. I didn't think it was hard to spend time with someone when they cared about you." He closed his eyes as he sighed. "Sorry, Shiro. We're just going through some things."

Shiro hesitated, but she placed a hand on his shoulder and stepped closer. "No. Ryan. Myra's been telling me. I know about the things you guys are going through. I know it's not right, but she didn't want to see you because she was afraid it would end in another argument about me. That's part of the reason she wanted to talk to me yesterday."

"Oh. I see," Ryan said as he looked at Shiro. "How did that go?" 

"Well, she asked if I was interested in you. She doesn't like the way I look at you or act around you," Shiro quietly said. 

"Sounds about right," Ryan said. "She assumes I'm into you as well. So you told her you weren't, and did she believe you?" 

"Actually--" The door bell rang. Shiro looked from the door to Ryan. "I said I am." She kissed Ryan on the cheek. 

"I knew it," Myra's voice sounded angry. 

Ryan stepped back and turned to Myra. She held what Ryan assumed was a bag of his favorite donuts. "Myra..." 

"You like her back, don't you," Myra exclaimed as tears formed in her eyes. 

"I can explain!" 

Myra turned and ran out of the cafe. Ryan's eyes widened and he sighed. 

"I'm sorry," Shiro whispered. "I didn't think she'd react like that..." 

Ryan glared at Shiro. "How did you think she would react?"

Shiro embraced Ryan. "Please don't be angry with me. I can't help how I feel."

Ryan pulled himself free. He hurt Shiro and apologized. But Shiro embraced him again. He continued to try to pull free without hurting Shiro.

"Ryan, please." Shiro looked up at him. "Listen. I've liked you for a long time. I can't stop thinking about you, and I feel completely lost when I see you with Myra. I know she's my best friend and this is wrong, but I like you." 

"You're right. She is your friend, and this is wrong," Ryan said. "What the hell were you thinking?" 

"I wasn't. I'm still not. Even now, I still want to kiss you so badly," Shiro said. "Please." 

"WHAT?!" 

"I know. I just can't stand seeing you kiss her," Shiro exclaimed. "It's so hard for me." 

But it was too late. They were locked in a kiss. He stopped resisting. Shiro kissed him again. And Ryan lost himself. Her lips were soft, and she smelled like flowers. His eyes closed and she kissed him again. Her kisses were so tender and meaningful. It was like she was gently showing Ryan how she felt. 

Ryan had his back against the wall as Shiro continued to kiss Ryan deeply. He could feel his arms almost begin to embrace Shiro. But he remembered Myra.

Ryan now realized this is all he was asking from Myra. This was all he wanted. Even if it was for a moment.

Shiro buried her head in his chest, and she tightly held him. "You can hate me now. But I just wanted to know what it felt like. I'm so sorry. I know that was wrong. Had it been the other way around, I know it would definitely be wrong. But I just thought, 'this might be my only chance.'"

"Shiro..." 

"I'm sorry. I won't do it again, and I hope nothing like that happens to me. I'm such an awful person," Shiro began to cry.

Ryan placed his hands on Shiro's shoulders and moved her away from him. "Shiro, I don't think it was wrong if I somehow wanted it." 

Shiro was shocked. "Wait. What? I don't understand. I forced myself onto you. I made you look bad to Myra." 

Ryan looked down and his voice was quiet but gentle. "I don't know how to explain it. I mean, I am still mad you forced yourself onto me. That'll take time to forgive. But I do find you attractive and Myra and I are going to break up after this. And the way you kissed me... I've been looking for a sign about what to do, and I guess this is it. I was just trying to be blind about it. It suddenly makes sense why all of our arguments ended up about you."

"So... am I forgiven," Shiro asked. 

Ryan stepped back. "I'll still need time to process all that, but we'll see how it goes. I'm confused now and I feel really guilty for what I'm about to ask." 

"What are you going to ask?" 

Ryan looked away. "Could you kiss me more?" 

                               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quinn yawned and stretched as she sat on Koren's bed. She wore his button up shirt, so she made sure all the buttons were on. She put on one of his shorts and walked to the living room where Koren slept. She noticed Ryan was gone. The morning sun was gently kissing Koren's face. 

Quinn smiled and sat on her knees in front of Koren. She watched him sleep for a moment and gently poked his cheek. "Koren," She whispered. "Koreeeen." 

Koren groaned. "What?" 

"It's morning. Really early, but--

"You're hungry," Koren said. "I got you. I have to get up anyway." He sluggishly sat up and stretched. "Let me use the bathroom, and I'll cook you something. The usual? Eggs and brioche?" 

Quinn smiled, raked her hand through her hair to scratch her head,and nodded. "Please." 

Koren laughed and petted Quinn's bed hair. He went to the bathroom and closed the door behind himself. He smiled to himself. "Damn she's hot when she wakes up."