Cinderella

The room was well lit by the moonlight that came through the large floor to ceiling windows. The room looked like a study and a bedroom at the same time. The bed had a canopy with thick drapes. 

Cindy opened her eyes to see Zander who stood, leaned against the large window, and stared at the moonlit garden. 

Cindy sat up and Zander turned to her as he heard her move.

Zander smiled at her. "Well, hello Cindy. It's been a long time, love." 

Cindy slowly took a breath to calm herself, but her heart raced. She ran to Zander and embraced him. "Where have you been? Why are you doing this to me?" 

Zander tightly held her and played with her hair. "Shhhh. It's okay, Cindy. It's okay. I've missed you too." He laughed. 

Cindy sat back on the bed as she frowned, and Zander stood directly in front of her. 

"Something tells me you've got something on your mind," Zander said. "Have you been okay?" 

Cindy looked up at Zander. "I just don't get it. All this time. Us growing up together. You kidnapping me like this. You giving me affection, caring about me. You used to kiss my forehead in front of everyone when we were kids. I know you better than anyone. No one knows you still use your sleeping drink and kidnap me. What do you want from me? You said we'd be publicly together at some point." 

Zander held Cindy's hand. "I care about you. You make me feel like I can say whatever I want or feel without consequence. But you know we can't be together publicly--" 

"AND WHY NOT," Cindy cried out.

Zander placed a finger on her lips. "Because you're engaged to someone else, my little Juliet. Your father doesn't want you to marry me, remember?" 

"Don't call me your little Juliet... It makes me feel like we'll never be together." 

Zander smiled. "Then what would you like me to call you?" 

"I don't know," Cindy said. She sighed. "I just, don't care for the guy I'm engaged to now. And I feel so comfortable around you because I know you better than anyone. You like lattes but hate any other form of coffee. You hate coming to these parties, and you find me a great stress relief because I listen to you rather than talk over you. I don't dismiss your feelings like everyone else. I love you! I always have!" 

Zander wrapped his arms around Cindy. "And I promise I love you too. Just like I promised we'd hide and love each other till we could love each other openly." 

Cindy clung onto Zander. "I hope my dad changes his mind, or that my fiancee stops liking me." 

"Cindy," Zander gently kissed her lips. "Who couldn't ever love you?" He kissed her again. "You're an amazing, cute girl. I highly doubt he'd ever just give you up." 

Cindy sighed. "I'm so terrified that if there's too much time until I'm yours, you'll find someone you don't have to wait for. Someone better than me..." 

Zander frowned. "Cindy... I love you. I didn't really look for anyone else when I turned eighteen. I mean, me and Sandra--"

"Sandra," Cindy cried. "You said you'd always love me." 

Zander smiled. "You were on my mind at every party. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't just chasing you because of some infatuation. Besides you're two years younger than me."

"I'm twenty now! You didn't have to hide," Cindy said. She grabbed both of his hands. "I loved you since we were kids." 

Zander frowned again. He looked into her eyes. They were filled with such plea and longing. 

"Say something," Cindy said. 

"I had to leave you alone. And when you became engaged, I didn't know what to do," Zander's voice faltered. "I know your father doesn't like me. I get that. There was a time I thought I liked Sandra growing up, but I don't know... You were always in the back of my mind." 

"Really...?" 

"Yeah," Zander said. "I mean, look at us now." He held Cindy. "I'm still kidnapping you to keep you all to myself. Knowing you're engaged, knowing it won't work between us, knowing someone could spy on us and tell your father." 

"Zander..." 

Zander pulled back to gaze into Cindy's eyes. He tucked her hair behind her ear. "You do know me better than anyone else. Sandra, Ryan, Koren, Quinn. You know me better than all of them and they've known me since I was little. You understand the pain I go through with my father and having to deal with his strict decisions. He still wants me to be with you... but you're engaged. So this is the only way I can think of to be with you. I know it's a short time, but it's a short time with just us." 

Cindy held Zander. "I'm sorry." 

"It's okay," Zander said. "Anyone would be frustrated with our situation." 

"It's not fair! We can't be together like Juliet and Romeo. Why can't we be like Cinderella and her prince?" Cindy's voice changed as her tears formed. 

Zander played with Cindy's pink hair. "I guess that's just not our story. After all, I don't think I've ever heard of Cinderella's prince kidnapping her just to be with her." 

Cindy looked up at Zander. "I am being serious." 

Zander smiled. "I know. I'm just saying that our fairytale might be very unique." 

"What do you mean?" 

"Hmm," Zander looked out the large window for a moment. He then looked back at Cindy. "Do you still live at the same address?" 

"Yes? Why?" 

"Perfect." Zander kissed Cindy's hand as he bowed. "I need you to sleep again. Our dream together ends right now." 

Cindy's head felt heavy. "Wait..." Her eyes involuntarily closed.

~~I'm so terrified that if there's too much time until I'm yours, you'll find someone you don't have to wait for.