| TWENTY ONE |

Photo of Clay Helms.

After our shower Clay and I are snuggling on my one arm chair since Logan is laying on the sofa and dad is on the other chair and my body is still shaking from fear. "Are you going back to work tonight?" Logan asks dad breaking the silence we'd fallen into. "Not tonight. But I'm going to have to Wednesday to Sunday." Dad sighs. "Why? You never do nights." I ask feeling my body tense.

"We think there might be some copycats and they need me to be there." Dad explains sadly. "Is it safe to stay here?" I ask sitting up straighter.

"It should be. But if you want you can kids can go stay with your mom if you want."

"Absolutely not." I answer straight away. "I can stay in the weekend." Clay offers drawing circles on my back calming me down. "I'm good with that." Logan nods. "I'm staying with Hayden during the week then though. No offence but I'm not staying here with Kenzie." He adds his eyes flickering to mine for a second.

"I can ask to stay at Brads and Junes." I comment, dad nods in agreement. "Or you could stay with me." Clay whispers so only I can hear. "Really?" I whisper back moving so I can see his face. "Yeah." He nods placing a light kiss on my cheek. I snuggle back down into him feeling better already.

Clay has to go home after dinner before he goes he promises me he'll pick Logan and I both up for school tomorrow. "Have you heard from your mom?" Dad asks once Clay has gone. "I got a text saying I was an ungrateful bitch." I state throwing my phone over to my dad. "Keep everything she sends you and don't answer her calls." Dad says frowning as he passes my phone back. "We're probably going to court in the new year." He sighs.

"Can't we just say we want to stay here?" Logan asks furrowing his eyebrows. "It will help. But let's not worry about it until the time comes." Dad tells him. "What are we doing for Christmas?" I ask stretching my body over the chair. "Grandma and Grandpa will stay Christmas eve and we'll have an early lunch then I have work in the afternoon." Dad sighs.

"Why are you working on Christmas?" Logan asks scrunching his nose. "Sarge has taken it off since it's his sons first." Dad explains. "Fair enough then I guess." Logan sighs, not bothering hiding his disappointment.

***

"Wakey wakey." Someone says in my ear placing a kiss just below it making me shiver. "You've gotta get up." The voice says kissing down my neck. I moan move my head to the side exposing more of my neck. I hear Clay chuckle as he continues to kiss down my neck. "Are you awake yet?" He asks deeply as he moves his lips to the top of my boobs.

"No." I groan wrapping my hands in his hair. "I think you are." He says before freeing himself from my grip. "Can't we just stay in bed." I whine pulling the blankets up. "Nope. You haven't been to school for two days." Clay states pulling the blankets off me. "Three more days won't hurt." I pout.

"Come on, Logan is waiting." Clay chuckles. "I really hate you right now." I mumble as I climb out of my bed. "I'll make it up to you tonight." He winks before leaving me to get dressed. I huff and stomp around my room as I get ready. By the time I'm done Logan, Clay and my dad are sitting in the living room. "Smile Kenz." Dad teases. "I'll see you kids later okay? Be good this week." He says before getting up and hugging both Logan and me.

"Does anyone at school know you fight?" Logan asks from the backseat of Clays SUV. "June and Brad, you and Kenzie." Clay answers with a smile. I snort remembering how it made it such a big deal that no one can know now he doesn't seem to care. "You know you can't say anything right?" I sass turning to glare at Logan.

"I know that Kenz. Connor already told us the rules." He answers rolling his eyes. "So Hayden doesn't know?" Logan smirks at Clay through the rear view mirror. "Nope. He just thinks I'm Connors buddy." Clay smiles placing his hand on my thigh rubbing small circles with his thumb.