T H R E E

Astri had much to do, she was to clean and take care of Rickon, Arya and Sansa while the rest went off with their father. A deserter had come to Winterfell, which made Astri pray since he was never going to wake up again. He left the Night's Watch and his punishment would be execution. Astri hated that law, it was stupid to her. The Wall was cold, none of the men there had their own families. They were supposed to be devoted to the Wall. Astri never knew why men would volunteer for it, it seemed like a very sad life.

For a while she had known that Jon has wanted to be apart of the Night's Watch, which made her really sad. His life wasn't bad, sure he was a bastard, but they all loved him. She's been trying to talk him out of it, even though they were of age to do as they pleased. Jon was going to make a decision, and she wasn't going to like it. He was her best friend, they've know each other since they were born. She was just worried that she wasn't going to have her best friend anymore, even if she had Robb.

Astri was keeping an eye of Rickon, listening to him read out loud. He was getting better the more he practiced. All she could think about was the fact that Bran was watching someone get beheaded right now. Astri knew it wasn't her place to decide what was wrong or right for any of the Stark children, but she couldn't help the worry she was feeling. Bran was going to be scarred for life after witnessing something like that. She looked at Rickon and knew that his time would come soon to witness that.

Though they had a while before that happened.

As much as she appreciated the Stark's taking her in, she just couldn't help but think about all the things she was missing out on. She was on seventeen, she was still young. Time was going by, she's never even left Winterfell. Her entire life was here. Still, she couldn't abandon her family even if she wanted to get out of here. She owes them her life. Astri would probably be dead, she was thankful for the shelter she's been given. Every time she thought about this, she wondered about her father.

Does he know she's in Winterfell or even alive?

Rickon continued to read to Astri, they were both seated on his bed and she smiled down at him. She lightly caressed the back of his head, playing with his curly hair. Just as they were finishing up, there was a knock at the door.

"Come in." Astri called, Rickon also looking up.

The door opened, but there was no one there. The two of them looked at each other, wondering what was going on? Then a little direwolf trotted in, Astri smiling at how small and cute it was. Rickon jumped off the bed, immediately rushing to the floor to hold it.

Astri stood up, still smiling and Robb entered. He was holding another direwolf in his arms, cuddling it and smiling at his best friend. "Where did they come from?" Astri questioned as she came closer to Robb, reaching out to grab the pup and he handed it to her. "Their mother is dead," Robb explained, "There were six of them. Bran saved them from being killed. You know my father can't say no to Bran." That was the truth. "We get to keep them?" Rickon asked form the floor, "Of course. He is your responsibility." The little boy smiled, cuddling his direwolf pup.

The one Astri held in her arms was obviously Robb's, making her a little jealous. "Robb, he is beautiful. You are very lucky."

Robb moved closer to her as he spoke, admiring the way she kissed the pup's head. "You're beautiful." He mumbled to himself, only to realise he said it aloud. Astri hadn't even been listening, she was just looking at the little creature in her arms. "Did you name it?" He was very fortunate that she had not heard him, "Grey Wind."

"It fits him well." She looked up at Robb, grinning like an idiot as she handed the pup back to him.

"You know, he could be our little direwolf." Robb gave her a small smirk, making her giggle. "No," she petted Grey Wind, "He is yours. But I will make sure to spend more time with him than you, Robb Stark." Just as they were about to continue their conversation, in walked Jon carrying his own direwolf and Astri's eyes widened. It was pure white and had red eyes. It was so beautiful. "Jon, he is adorable." She moved away from Robb, grabbing Jon's pup. "Called him Ghost."

Astri turned to look at Robb and Grey Wind, "He has competition." She smiled at him.

Robb gave her a small smile back, watching as her and Jon admired Ghost more than Grey Wind. "I'm naming mine Shaggydog." They all turned to Rickon on the floor, playing with his pup and they chuckled at him. "Beautiful name," Astri giggled, "Creative. But we must get lunch now, come along." She held out her hand, the little boy getting up and his dog followed.

"I'll catch up with you boys later?" She smiled at them, both of them nodding.

They watched her take Rickon to get lunch with Shaggydog trailing behind them, laughing at the way the little pup trotted.

Astri and Rickon walked down the long hall of the Stark castle, Shaggydog following right behind. As they went to get something to eat, Bran came running from around the corner and straight into Astri's arms. She was taken back by it, not knowing what she had done to deserve a hug like this. Rickon kept walking, he'd be okay on his own.

He had Shaggydog.

They Astri had been worrying about Bran, how he had watched a beheading. He seemed okay, this hug assured her of that.

Astri hugged him tightly, smiling to herself and then crouching down to his level.

She moved some of his hair out of his face, "What was that for?"

He smiled, placing his hands to her shoulders.

"I needed you," he confessed, "I saw my father kill a man." Astri nodded, sighing softly and then smiling again.

"And how do you feel about it?" He shrugged, he didn't know. Before it happened he was nervous, now he just didn't know what to think.

"Well, it had to be done. Lord Stark needed to kill him, he was a deserter. One day you might have to do the same."

It was Astri's job to make sure they didn't look at their parents as monsters.

Bran and Astri had a very close relationship, one like she had with his older brothers. "I hope that day never comes." He muttered, looking down. "Hey," she lifted his head up by his chin, "Don't think about it. You'll be okay. Come on, show me your little direwolf. What'd you name him?" Bran smiled, grabbing her hand and she stood up again.

"Summer."

They began to walk, Astri liking that name a lot.

"I love it."

That made him happy, "Promise me you'll come with if my father..."

"Bran," she knew where it was going, "You know I cannot, I have no business doing those things. I'm sorry."

He frowned, "Come on. Aren't you hungry?" They continued to walk.