Chapter 10: Motives

Eliza's POV

We walked through the door in unison, scouting the room for Hayden as we entered.

Our eyes fell on him sat on a leather chair behind a desk made of solid oak, smiling lazily at what was sat beside him.

I froze my movement, as I stopped reaching behind me for my gun and I noticed in my peripheral vision that Lily had done the same.

Gazing up at Hayden with a beautiful, lopsided smile ... was a young girl. That girl, no older than 8, had brown, curled hair that fell down her back in soft waves and bright blue eyes that peered at us as we hurried in.

Cody and Owen also stopped in their tracks and looked at the scene for a second with wide eyes. Then Cody started talking very fast, but I wasn't really listening to what was said.

It all passed by incredibly slowly. Like a movie played at half speed, unraveling painfully, but no just as compelling than if it was played at normal pace.

Hayden finally seemed to acknowledge our presence and got up from his seat suddenly.

"What are they doing here?" He yelled at the boys, annoyed and almost... worried at something.

"I'm really sorry I didn't know she was here. They dropped Owen off and I guess I thought you might want to talk to them." Cody explained.

Lily and I, by this time, had relaxed our stances and were standing as if this was purely just a social call.

"Wait. Who is she?" I asked looking at the girl with what I hoped was a pleasant smile, despite my confused state. 

"She's... my sister." Hayden said looking at the girl with a relaxed and content expression.

"But you don't have a sister?" Lily asked confused.

"Actually he does. I'm Ash. Ashley Blake. It's very nice to meet you." Ash said smiling at me and Lily.

"I'm going to bed. I'm too tired for this." Owen said opening the door and sluggishly waking out.

"Hey Ash, why don't you go and play in the garden with Cody?" Hayden asked.

I expected Cody to complain but he said nothing as Ash giggled and skipped out the door, grabbing his hand as she went.

Once we were left alone I muttered "Explain", before sitting down in one of the comfortable leather chairs. When all three of us were sat down he began to talk.

"Ashley is my little sister. She's only seven but when she was born my mum and dad where both still healthy and fine. You probably don't know because, well, no one really knows, but my parents died three years ago. My mum died of cancer and my dad jumped off a bridge after she died. So that left us on our own. I was only 14 and Ash was only 4. I had no way to support her as I hadn't started this up yet and so for a while we just lived of the food off we were given at school. Then the news came that our dad hadn't been paying for the meals we were eating. No one knew he was dead. Only me. I saw him jump off that bridge only minutes after I lost mum." He stopped for a second, trying to catch his breath as he hadn't stopped to do so during his story. "I told my teacher and she lent us some money. Not much but enough to get by for a couple of weeks. I had heard at school that some of the older kids had gotten hold of some cocaine. I thought if I bought some I could sell it on and make a profit. So I did. And soon I was one of the biggest drug dealers in LA. I never tell anyone about Ash. She's so innocent but has such a huge target on her back. If everyone knew about her so many people would try and take her. I'm not sure if I would be able to protect her."

He said the whole speech with a pained and haunted expression. As if he was reliving the whole thing as he told it. Lily and I were completely speechless. We couldn't think of anything to say.

Hayden had just revealed to us such a massive part of himself. A part only known by a very few people.

"You won't tell anyone, right? Not for my sake - for hers." Hayden asked returning to more his usual self. But he was still distant. He was not in charge of the situation, like he usually was and it seemed foreign to him.

"No." I said, firmly. "We won't tell anyone."

"Thank you." Hayden said, honestly grateful. "Her safety - it means everything to me. I would give anything for her."

He seemed genuine. As I watched him I got this feeling that this girl, his sister, really was his everything. My suspicions were confirmed when continued to speak.

"She is my light in the world of darkness." He whispered, so quietly I don't know if Lily heard it or if I was supposed to, but I did and that is all that mattered.

Lily looked at me and began to reach behind her back for where the gun was hidden. She was asking me if we should still kill him.

I thought for a second. This was what I had been searching for. A good hearted motive to explain all the bad he had done.

I have come to terms with doing bad things but for the right reasons a long time ago. Look at the job I did.

I couldn't kill him. Not now. I had to think. I couldn't do this on a whim. I could spend my whole life regretting it and I wasn't about to do something that could put me in that position.

I shook my head at Lily and began speaking to Hayden.

"We won't tell. But we need to discuss what we are doing regarding your 'traitor issue'."

I had to change the subject. Make it seem as if we came here with a purpose.

I needed time. To think. To plan. He had a motive. A good hearted motive. The thing I never expected him to have.

This changed everything.

Well, there is the next chapter.

What do you think of Ash?

Do you like Hayden's 'human side'?

I'll update soon...