Chapter 13: Final Moves

Enjoy...

Eliza's POV

I rush to Hayden's temporary house on the outskirts of town. I'm desperate to tell someone, anyone, what thoughts just crossed my mind. I mean, what if they were right? What if I was right?

Cody couldn't be, wouldn't be, a traitor. He was devoted to Hayden. He followed his every command, trusting in what he told him.

But whoever wanted Hayden dead, knew about the plan to kill him, long before we went through with it.

Who else knew? Think Eliza, think! 6 people. 6 suspects. Who is the traitor?

Hayden.
Lily.
Owen.
Cody.
Ash.
Me.

Well I didn't do it and Lily didn't. I mean, she didn't even know the guy when he was first ordered to be killed.

Hayden.
Owen.
Cody.
Ash.

Hayden couldn't have done it. Put that much money up for killing yourself? It's stupid and ridiculous. Two things Hayden certainly wasn't. Yes, he acted stupid and sometimes was a right dick, but that didn't mean he didn't calculate everything he did.

Owen.
Cody.
Ash.

Wait, Ash? No way she didn't even understand what the drug trade was, let alone want to kill her own brother in order to run a small part of it. She wouldn't even know how to get into contact with our company, especially while covering your tracks so completely.

TRACKS!

WE COULD TRACK THE BANK ACCOUNT WHICH THE MONEY IS/WAS GONNA COME FROM!

By the time I had arrived as Hayden's door, I had my plan fully ready for completion.

I bang on his door impatiently, completely forgetting the door bell next to it. It is swung open by a confused Hayden who begins to talk to me before I cut him off.

"Is anyone else here?" I ask, straining not to shout.

"Uhh... no?"

"Good. I need to talk to you." I say walking inside. "Shut up. Listen. Don't you dare say a word until I'm finished."

And that is exactly what he did. Once I was finished, he was still sat in silence, thoroughly stunned.

His mouth opened and closed like a fish and even as he did the unattractive action I couldn't help but realise how handsome he looked. But this was most certainly NOT the time.

"You mean Cody?" He began, not believing his own words as they fell from his mouth. "He might want me dead? He wants the business? He, he wouldn't!"

"That's exactly what I thought, but think about it : Who else knew?" I replied, looking at him pleadingly.

Half begging him to tell me I was being crazy and half begging him to believe me.

"It's just, he's my best friend, you know?" He says, shaking his head and I can see his eyes are glossy with sadness and unshed tears, tears I knew would never be allowed to fall.

"I'm so, so sorry." I said honestly. "I want myself to be wrong. Not often that I can say that!"

"What are you planning?" He asked "to stop him I mean."

"Let's get the others in on it first. Owen and Lily, if they are not too busy sucking each other's faces off, could help." I said, laughing slightly at my own joke. Lame, I know.

Well anyone could guess how the next three hours went. If you can't, it consisted of explaining what I'd found out, formulating a plan and sitting in general shock.

No one really knew what to say or how to act. We were all shocked and I for one didn't want to think about what was happening right now. So I didn't.

"Lily. Upstairs. We need to talk." I said, breaking the uncomfortable silence that had begun to smother us.

We left the boys together. Not only did Lily and I need to talk, but so did the boys. Neither of us knew Cody like Hayden and Owen did. They needed their space as much as we did, if not more.

"Spill." I said to Lily, desperate to change the subject to something unconnected to Cody. When my only reply from her was a raised eyebrow I continued. "I know Owen asked you on a date."

She seemed very unsure of how to reply, shocked that I knew it seemed. "I was gonna tell you, I really was!" She began to explain. "But I just, never got the chance. I mean with the plan and our fake argument I didn't know when I was supposed to tell you."

"It's okay. I understand. But tell me now." I replied, smiling tightly.

"Well he asked me out and I ran away. I know it's stupid but you know me, I don't date. It only leads to heartbreak. And you and I both know we don't need anymore of that." She said, rather over-animatedly.

"Maybe we were wrong." I shrugged, my voice so quiet you could hardly here it. "Look Lily, I have read the fairytales we are fed as children, and I know that they never come true. There is no fairy godmother to send you to the ball, or dwarfs in the forest to save you from starvation. Equally there is no witch, who can turn into a dragon, to curse you to sleep. But maybe, just because all that doesn't exist, it doesn't mean we can't try to find our 'prime charming'. I can't promise Owen is your true love and you'll ride off into the sunset together, god I hope you don't 'cause I don't know what I'd do without you, but that doesn't mean we can't keep searching for them just the same."

When I looked at Lily she had tears in her eyes, but they burned with determination as she spoke. "I'll say yes, on one condition. Once all this is over, you ask Hayden out. Just once and it can be as nothing more than friends, but if I'm risking  a broken heart, damn, so are you."

I didn't know what to say. Hayden and me, we hadn't really gotten any closer since that night at the party. But to hell with it. We were leaving soon and I promised to myself Eliza Smith was going out with a bang.

I stretched my hand out to Lily muttering one word, and one word only.

"Deal."

There you go! The next two chapters are the last two of my book, bar an epilogue.

Thank you for reading, and remember to comment and vote.

See you next chapter...