「 day 33 」

august 18th 2019
sunday

[ a/n: far from 8:30 where i live but why not an early update for my lovely viewers! 2.6k words, longest chapter so far. enjoy! ]

"lloyd! honey!" he hears his mother call out with a knock to accompany. "you have to get up. someone's here for you."

lloyd groans. not because he just woke up. no, the boy has been up since 5 am. it's because no one usually visits him at... what time is it? he check his phone.

8:30

who would even visit him at this time? certainly not his friends, they won't even be awake at this time.

another knock and he finally yanks himself out of his bed. luckily, he already wore the clothes he planned on wearing and done his essentials.

"i'm up," he says, opening the door. shock flows through his body and the person on the other side of his bedroom door.

"y/n?" he asks, looking at her from head to toe with a look of skepticism.

she nods, sending him a closed lip smile.

"what are... what are you doing here?"

before y/n could speak up, mama garmadon enters the scene.

"lloyd!" she exclaims, stepping in between the two. "you're finally up!"

y/n takes multiple steps back to give the two space.

his mother leans into him, whispering, "you didn't tell me you had a girlfriend."

lloyd's face turns red almost instantly. he looks at his mom with an annoyed look.

"she isn't my girlfriend," he whispers back in a stern tone.

"if you say so," she says mockingly.

"well, i have to go!" she exclaims, walking over to the door. "breakfast is in the kitchen!"

after the door clicks, lloyd sends y/n a small, awkward smile. she sends him back a small laugh before walking over to the living room. lloyd follows her.

they both sit on the couch, next to each other but there's a space just right for someone else to sit on.

"what are you doing here?" he asks, looking at y/n, searching for any indication that the question might offend her.

"i'm here to explain," she answers, shrugging, and crossing her arms. "mother always said that things are better resolved in person than through text."

lloyd nods. "how did you find out where i live?"

"asked kai," she answers, letting out a breath, and leaning down on the couch. "now, i'm here to tell you a story."

she sighs, staring at whatever it is in front of her.

"up until the age of eight, life was pretty decent. i was happy. my mom and dad were too."

while she spoke, a small nostalgic smile adorned her features.

"sure, my dad had to work three different jobs to sustain us, and mom did her best to scrape a few extra dollars, but --" a shrug "--we were happy."