|28 - Self-Doubt|

|Ethan|

One Week Later

In my "office" is where I was located. Some would say that the room was a bit messy, but the disorganization was the only way I kept up with my belongings. Every time I tidied up I seemed to lose something important, so I needed the slight clutter.

I was on my computer designing new things, scrapping some of them, and repeating the process for quite a while— hours probably. I tended to focus on tasks too hard. I wouldn't stop working on them until they were perfect, but I couldn't help it. Especially in that particular case.

I had spent forever trying to make something special — just for Harper — and it wasn't going my way. I had the perfect colors, font, and art picked out; however, it was still missing something. I rested my elbow on my desk and dropped my face into my hand.

"You okay?" Harper asked, startling me.

I threw the blanket on my swivel chair over my computer screen— the surprise would've been ruined before it was even finished if she'd seen it.

"Yeah, I'm good," I said, turning in my chair to face her.

She cocked a brow, "Are you really? You've been in here for hours again."

"Yes, baby, I'm ok. Just wanna make sure this new design I'm working on comes out perfectly."

"I'm assuming you don't want me to see it?" she asked, shifting her weight onto her other leg.

"Not yet, but soon. I promise."

She smiled slightly, "Okay. I brought you some of those cheese cracker thingies." She pulled two packs out of her (my) hoodie pocket and handed them to me.

"Thank you, baby," I immediately ripped one open. Hadn't realized how hungry I was. She smiled again and opened her mouth to say something, shutting it right after. "You ok?"

She let out a breath, "I wanna do something, but I'm nervous."

I finished off the first pack of my snack — ooh, bars — and tossed the empty container in the trash bin, "What are you nervous about?"

"Singing to you."

I shot her a look of confusion, "Baby, you sing to me all the time."

"Yeah, but nothing I've written..."

"You've been writing?" I asked and she nodded.

"I have this song I wanna sing to you, but I'm afraid that you won't like it."

"Harper, it's a song by you. Anything you create is amazing to me," I said seriously. My babygirl wrote it; of course I was gonna like it.

"Okay," she breathed, "I'll sing it."

"I'm all ears, baby," I grinned and she stood in front of me.

I listened to Harper sing her heart out. A shit-eating grin was plastered on my face throughout the entire song. She got really into her little performance and would shift around, play with her fingers, and shut her eyes when she'd hit a high note. I was in awe. When she stopped, my lips formed into a pout.