~Chapter 9~

Well, reading that book about sleep right before going to bed was a very bad idea. At this moment, you're lying in your bed and trying not to fall asleep, induce sleep-exhaustion hallucinations, or clue in the monsters in your closet about your whereabouts.

The lamp on the bedside table on your side of the bed is on and you're sitting up, leaning against the headboard, completely miserable.

The book described this incredible thing called sleep paralysis. You would wake up in the middle of the night and your mind would think you're dreaming. But you're completely awake. Whenever you dream, your brain paralyzes you so you can't act out your dreams. So you're in bed, in the middle of the night, unable to move.

Your brain still thinks you're dreaming, so there's a very high chance of sleep paralysis giving you hallucinations of things. A very common one is the feeling of something evil in the room or, most of the time, sitting on your chest, suffocating or choking you. In other words, you now fear sleep in case this might happen to you.

But what Aziraphale and Crowley said... It makes sense, honestly. Aziraphale said that he supposes that he must be Christian. All of the stumbling over words when he told you the story of Adam and Eve. How he was justifying the angel's actions when it was his own.

How Aziraphale said they were each pansexual. Beings beyond gender boundaries can fall in love with anyone. At some point, you'll ask them what pronouns they want to go by. For now, for simplicity, you'll still use male pronouns for both of them.

They were also checking for you... or at least trying to, anyway. It wasn't security cameras, it was weird demon/angel mind powers.

And Crowley... He thought you would hate them if you found out they were a demon. Something small like that doesn't matter to you.

You hear a knock on your door and it creaks open just a crack. SHIT THE MONSTERS ARE HERE FOR YOUR SOUL--

"Hey, Y/N?" Nevermind. It's just Crowley.

"Y-yeah?" A beat.

"Could I come in?"

"Oh, sure, go ahead!" Some company would be greatly appreciated right about now...

He opens the door, walks in, and stands there awkwardly. You scooch closer to your side of the bed and motion towards it.

"Sit down?"

He doesn't say anything. He just sits on the opposite side and looks down. After a moment, he takes off his sunglasses and puts them on the bedside table closest to him. He leans against the headboard, tilts his head back, and puts his hand over his eyes. A classic display of being done with the world.

"Y/N, I'm sorry." You're confused.

"For wha-- Oh. Right." He pretty much kicked your ass earlier that night because you called him a nice and kind person. That happened.

"I just don't like people calling me anything good. At all." You have a very strong urge to say that he is, in fact, a very good person but you then remember what happened last time you pulled that stunt.

"If you don't mind me asking, how come?" He puts his hand down and his glasses back on. You never got to see his eyes. He considers the question.

"I'm a demon. I'm supposed to be a complete bastard. Not nice at all."

"You are friends with an angel."

"Which means I have to be a lot meaner to make up for it."

"That's... not how it works. Is Heaven forgiving?" He laughs.

"No. Not at all."

"Why do you yell at your plants?" He looks directly at you. Oh no. Too sudden...?

"I'm assuming you already have an idea, you just want to make sure you're right." You say nothing. He's onto you.

He sighs. "Haven't figured that quite out yet. Just an instinct. Why?"

"Well, why did you have to leave Heaven? Why did you fall?"

"I didn't fall." Okay...? "I sauntered vaguely downwards." Well, that's clever.

"You hung around the wrong people?"

"Exactly. All I did was ask questions. But that was all it took in the old days." He looks down at his hands, looking incredibly depressed. So you make a split-second decision.

You move yourself a bit closer to him and hug him. Tightly. He didn't deserve to fall at all. He should be an angel right now, not a demon. Heaven and Hell are unfair.

He sits there in shock for about thirty seconds. And then he finally returns the hug.

You suddenly realize that your actions have consequences and that when this hug is over, you're both going to be extremely awkward. Oops. Soon, you do let go, and as expected, it's awkward.

Although sleep deprivation is on your side and tricking your mind into thinking that this isn't all too awkward.

"What does this have to do with the plants?"

"You were kicked out of Heaven because of the tiniest bit of darkness in you."

"Yeah...?"

"You shred any of your plants if they have the tiniest spot. Do you see a similarity?" He's silent for a moment.

"Oh. That explains it." You're about to say something in response but you're overtaken by a large yawn.

"Tired?" he asks.

"Yeah..."

"Why weren't you asleep? It's late."

"I read a book about sleep and it freaked me out."

"Okay. Then I guess I'll tell you how Aziraphale and I met from my perspective." He starts droning on in a monotonous voice. But you're listening closely.

"I tempted Eve. It wasn't hard. I just said, 'Hey, eat this, you won't regret it,' and she did. And I made her use her womanly charm to get Adam to eat it, too. I mean, it makes no sense. Put a giant apple tree in the middle of a garden with a "don't touch" sign on it, and someone's going to eat an apple from that tree. Why not move it out of the garden, on a high mountain? Or on the moon? Makes you wonder what God's really planning."

And, eventually, you give in to the tiredness and lean your head against his shoulder. He continues speaking, but you're sure he noticed since he wrapped his arm around you. It is now that you realize he sounds like a broken record.

In other words, he's trying to make you fall asleep by saying exactly the same thing over and over again in a monotonous voice. Well, at least you won't feel bad for not listening to him until he's done. Something tells you that he could keep this up all night long.

So you close your eyes and allow yourself to drift into a deep sleep.