~Chapter 23~

"Too late, my time has come. Sends shivers down my spine, body's aching all the time. Goodbye, everybody, I've got to go. Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth." Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The desert, you learn, is much harder to become accustomed to than the torture. At least in the room, you had only one kind of pain drowning out everything else. And it was a much cooler temperature.

You've been walking for what feels like an eternity. And you wouldn't be surprised if another twenty years have passed since you were tossed in here.

Needless to say, you're incredibly lonely. It's getting difficult to remember the details of Aziraphale's smile or Crowley's voice. It's even harder to remember your parents or anyone else you'd ever known.

You trudge on, listening for the sound of cawing in the sky. It's about time for them to come again.

Focusing on the possibility of the noise, you don't notice the other sounds filling the hot, dry air.

And the cawing comes. You drop to your knees and cover your head with your hands, waiting for the unbearable pain to come, but it never does.

After a moment, the cawing ceases. You hesitantly stand and see the birds flying towards you. As soon as they start flying in circles around you, they begin cawing again. You sink to your knees again as you had before and hide your head.

They begin clawing and pecking at you, repeating what they'd done for nearly forever.

It stops and you heal, picking yourself up in the process. You look at where the birds had come from and realize that you hear a distant voice. You can't hear what they're saying, but it's a person, nonetheless.

In a burst of hope and newfound energy, you race towards where the birds had come from and where you can hear the voice.

You look down from the top of a particularly tall dune and see a slightly masculine figure calmly sitting in the sand. His clothes are ratty and dirty, he's sat there for quite a while.

So that's what the birds do--they go around and around, torturing everyone linearly.

"Hello?" You call out to the figure. The voice stops. He turns around, and he seems familiar, but you can't quite place where you know him from.

Regardless, you walk towards the man and into the dip in the sand where he sits.

Once you're within thirty feet of him, you suddenly realize who he is and how you recognize him. You run towards him until you're gasping for breath right in front of his feet.

"You're--" You cut yourself off. "You--" Not right, either.

The man smiles and laughs. "I'm..."

Of all the people you could have met in Hell, and you get to meet him. It seems your luck is pretty good sometimes.

"You're Freddie Mercury?"

He grins. "It seems the world hasn't forgotten me."

"W-well, that would be hard... A lot of people like your work... Including me?"

Your head feels faint. Now is not the time to have social anxiety.

"Thank you. Please, sit."

You do so and try not to act weirdly. Internally, you're fangirling pretty hard and you don't want it to show. Has Crowley met him? Probably.

"What's your name, darling?"