~Chapter 20~

A/N: Fire is a trigger warning. This trigger warning takes up the first half of the chapter-- there will be a line where it ends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Bentley continues to Aziraphale's. Crowley breaks the silence.

"It's coming. Not to scare you or anything, but I don't think you'll still be alive by tomorrow. But don't worry, I'll make sure you don't... That sounded a lot better in my head. Sorry."

You look towards him. "Uh, good to know. So what's the plan?"

"I have no idea."

"Will Aziraphale?"

"Sure hope so."

"M'kay." You look out the window again and shut your eyes and try not to freak out.

Sure, you know that Heaven and Hell both exist, so at least you won't be completely gone when you die, but the idea of death still scares you. Of course it does, it's death.

You hear sirens and Crowley slams on the brakes. You look up, out the window, and you see nothing but bright and orange.

"What happened?"

"This... is Aziraphale's bookshop...?"

"Yeah, I get that, but it's--"

"Yes, I know, let's go!" He jumps out and sprints towards the giant, flaming bookstore. You hop out and jog after him but you stop at the door, whereas he just runs through the door, right into the fire.

The fireman who was standing ten feet away from the door is looking at you with wide eyes. You stand still but turn your head back to him. "How did this start?"

He just gapes at you. "I dunno, but-- who was that? It's such a terrible tragedy. Ran straight in."

"Yeah, yeah. And he's a friend. He'll be out soon..." You turn back towards the bookshop and feel a pit in your stomach.

First of all, Aziraphale is gone. It's probably stupid, but... Over the time you've gotten to know him, even though it was so short, he'd become something of a second father figure to you. Your dad was wonderful, and so is Aziraphale.

Second, the books. Aziraphale would be heartbroken if he knew what had happened to those books. All gone, in a fire. A. Z. Fell & Co had become a refuge to you. A place to learn, a place to hide, a place to escape. And it hurts to see it burn away into dust.

The roof of the bookshop collapses and you worry for Crowley. He's still in there. It's bad enough you lost Aziraphale... Please don't let Crowley be lost to you, too. Your attention focuses on the fireman again.

"The poor man ran straight in! After that, he isn't coming out. What a terrible tragedy. Ran straight in."

At that moment, Crowley walks out of the fire. His sunglasses are off and his snake eyes are burning as brightly as the flame behind him.

His face is fixed into a slight sneer and under his arm is a book. The fireman gasps and walks up to him. You run to Crowley's side.

"You survived!" the fireman says. "That's amazing! Who are yo--" Crowley shoves past him, pushing him to the side, and sits in the car. As soon as you follow suit and close the door behind you, he slams on the gas.

He doesn't bother with putting on his sunglasses again.

~~~~~~~~~~End of fire trigger warning~~~~~~~~~~