Chapter 1: The Forest

*two years after the prologue*

Ty's POV

I sighed, resting my head against the cool window. The colorful leaves have already begun to fall from the once-green oak trees, and the other kids were running around outside, playing.

My dad told me to never go outside. He said they wouldn't like me; that they would bully me. Although he doesn't say it, I know he's afraid that I'll end up killing one of them.

He knows I can; I've killed grown men in front of my father's eyes. And that was two years ago. I've grown much stronger since then. So what's stopping me from killing an inexperienced fighter my own age?

All the kids out there are normal. I'm not. I wouldn't fit in anywhere. As far as I know, I'm probably the only dragon hybrid alive.

Although I remember a boy who looked just like me, only with purple wings...

My dad insists on telling me that I have no living siblings. Maybe he's right. Maybe my family is dead, and my twin brother that I dream about almost every night, even after two years, is just that. A dream. Nothing more.

Speaking of my dad, he's out of the house right now. I'm kinda curious to look around outside.

I quietly teleported outside the house, and ran. I didn't know where I was going, but I wanted to go somewhere quiet.

I stopped running after a while and rest my back against a black tree.

Wait, a black tree?

That can't be right.

I looked around, when suddenly, I heard a strange crackling sound.

"Who are you?" I heard another child's voice, and I looked around.

"Up here!" he laughed. He swung his legs back and forth, and rested a gloved hand on the bark. He was about my age, I think, but it's kinda hard to tell when he had a helmet on. He wore a spacesuit in varying shades of blue, and a jetpack on his back that allowed him to hover just above the ground.

Too late, I remembered my dad's warning about not showing anyone else my wings or claws, and quickly retracted them.

"I already saw them," the other boy laughed. "It's okay, I'm a freak of nature too."

He removed his blue and orange-yellow helmet to reveal an unnaturally pale face, blue eyes, and curly light brown hair, and jumped off the tree branch, landing silently on his feet.

"Who are you? I've never seen you around here before," I asked, taking a step closer.

"That's because I'm not from here," he said, his expression turning dark. "I ran away from home."

"Why?" I asked.

"They all say I'm a freak, a devil's child. Death follows wherever I go, because the Wither cursed my family."

"That's kinda like me!" I exclaimed. "Well, except for the 'death' part."

"Really?" the other boy asked.

"Everyone avoids me, too. Well, more like I try to avoid them," I muttered.

"Everyone stays away from me because of this," the other boy said, kneeling down, taking the gloves off his hands, and touching the grass.

All the once-green grass around him had turned black, creating a perfect circle.

"That happens to anything or anyone I touch," he said. "They die."

My mouth dropped open.

"What's your name?" I asked.

"Jason. Jason Parker," the boy replied, smiling. "You?"