Chapter 6: Nothing Lasts Forever

Ty's POV

Turns out the new guy - I'm assuming his name is Tom - was supposed to be here earlier for a meeting with the Captains.

Guess he's just that kind of guy.

Quentin and the other Medics are getting people to the Infirmary and treating their wounds.

The Palace grounds are in chaos. If this happens every time we're attacked, I don't think we're in very good shape.

Seto and I sit off to the side, watching the Medics heal people. Everyone else is taking care of other business - war business - and Seto and I decided not to go with them. He's clearly tired; I can see it in his expression.

"I get the feeling that a lot of people are going to die," Seto murmurs, resting his head on my shoulder. We've grown much closer in the last four months; now he's like the little brother I never had.

"You know who they are, don't you?" I ask.

He nods weakly. "There's a reason I don't say anything. If people know the future, they're gonna try to change it. And that's not gonna end well for anyone."

We watch as a boy - I think he's 15? - treat a much younger boy, talking to him softly and cleaning up a huge wound in his chest.

"I think Quentin said that guy's name is Victor," I say. "He's a good medic."

"That's nice," Seto murmurs.

"Think about it," I continue. "Quentin's always busy here. Maybe if we go on a journey - "

"Wait up, when did this become 'we' are going on a journey?" Seto interrups me, sitting up. "As far as I remember, you are making this trip alone."

"I know," I sigh. His words painfully remind me of what's to come. "But if you ever go anywhere, take him. He's been here for a long time, and I think he deserves it."

"Okay," Seto agrees. "Why don't you go take a break, clear your mind a bit? You probably need it. I'll tell Sky where you've gone."

He's right. I do.

I give Seto a hug, then stand up, running through the woods. Once I'm certain there's no one around me, I extend my wings and take off into the sky.

Hopefully the recruits think I'm just some sort of huge bird or something like that.

I don't really have any specific place I want to fly to, so I just soar around aimlessly, which gives me time to think.

Time feels like it's dragging by. One more week, and I'll be eighteen. Maybe just to end it all already, I'll go home in three days. I need to just get it over with, right? The sooner, the better.

Although I don't really know how much my brother has changed over the time I haven't seen him. He could be an insane, bloodthirsty maniac for all I know.

Time passes; the sun begins to go down. I slow down as I take in my surroundings. I've flown quite far in the past few hours. Below me is the coast, leading out to the ocean.

I don't know what's beyond the ocean. No one really does. But people say that our island is just a small part of a never-ending world. And that world is part of a bigger collection of worlds, and so on.

But what's more important is where I actually am. I know this beach. I used to come here as a child.

The incinerated ruins of my old village should be around here somewhere.

I fly around until I finally find it, a section of forest burned out. I glide to the ground, stumbling a bit as my feet touch the ground.

Being here brings back the memories. The burning fire, screams of the dying, Herobrine's faint laughter...