XXXVIII. Staying In Line

Over dinner, Stevie's family and Lindsey all got caught up with one another and learned a little bit more about how Lindsey and their child met. Nothing seemed to be awkward which was heaven sent and everybody was really welcoming of Lindsey as was his family to Stevie when he brought her to meet his side.

"Stevie, can I talk to you?" Lindsey asked as the family left the table.

"Of course, what's up?" she nodded.

"You let me win the match, didn't you?" he had to ask.

It had been aching him the entire time and he had to know if she slipped on purpose.

"Well... I had perfectly good reasoning," she assured.

He nodded with a small laugh escaping him.

"You're new to this town---I could've won, but I wanted you to take it," she rubbed his arm.

"Because it would score me points with your gambling parents?" he whispered.

"And you did. I only did that so they would be more welcoming. Every guy I ever dated-- Well, the ones I was engaged to, I'd bring them here and we'd match it out. My dad didn't like them because they lost and I am not even joking."

"Seriously?" he almost leered.

"Cross my heart---dead serious," she swore. "None of those guys, I never saw myself with them and I told you that before," she said, refreshing his memory. "And I love you so much that I wanted you to win, to win over my dad."

"Well, thank you---" he kind of nodded to the idea.

"Plus, if you saw how cocky and cute you were that you were gonna win, I had to, baby. You're the fucking cutest man ever," she giggled, kissing his cheek.

"Alright, alright," he laughed---rolling his eyes.

"Promise, you're not mad at me?" she said childishly.

"I promise, I'm not mad---" he nodded for sure. "But I do want a re-match. A real match," he added sternly.

"I give you my word, I promise to beat you every time," she nodded, swearing with the gesture of her fingers.

He chuckled, actually a little frightened because, he was sure she could beat him every time.

"Here you go, dear---" Barbara came up to her with a glass of red wine.

"Oh, thanks---" she grasped it and kind of looked at her.

"Let's go through the wedding album," she added, gesturing to the living area.

"Yeah! Oh, Linds, my mom and dad's album is the best," she added, standing and pulling him with her free hand. "You have to see the photographs because I want us to do some pictures like this, if we can manage. But this wedding is probably gonna be so un-traditional," she added.

"Have you seen your ring, babe?" he kind of laughed.

"Very true," she nodded, thinking about her black diamond.

The couple settled on the couch together with her mother while everybody lingered around the living room and found seating wherever they saw fit.

"Auntie Stevie, can I sit with you?" Jessica asked, wanting to be in the mix of all that was happening between the adults.

"Of course, baby," she handed Lindsey the wine glass as she pulled the little girl onto her lap. She took an album and started flipping through it, showing the little girl pictures of her grandparents at their wedding. "Look at grandma," she pointed out.