Chapter 12

Chapter 12 - We Meet Again

*Demi's POV*

It's been four awful, heart breaking weeks since we drove Delilah away. She hasn't come back, or given us any sign as to where she is.

Hell, we don't even know if she is alive.

Arthur and Ellie didn't want to get the police involved because they believed that she would come back. And so we anxiously waited for her to come home. She didn't. After three days it was driving me insane not knowing where she was.

So I made the decision to call the police. Arthur and Ellie were furious. But everyone else, Mom, Dad, Dallas, Maddie, Lennox and Leon said I'd made the right decision. Every night we split in to groups to go and search different areas of the city for her.

Most nights I was with Leon and Maddie. Mom and Dad mainly went with Lennox while Dallas got the names of all of Delilah's friends and constantly checked in on them to see if they had heard anything from her. No one had.

All the while all that I could think was that we were the reason that she ran away. And more specifically, I was a reason why she ran away. If I had have heard her out and believed her, hell even if I just let her explain herself then she wouldn't have felt so strongly. She wouldn't have felt the need to run away. And now, now she could be in danger and that breaks my heart.

The clock above my hotel bed chimed lightly, alerting me to the fact that it was midnight.

The others should be back soon. I wanted to go with them. To help try and find Delilah, but I felt so ill that I couldn't move.

*time skip - Next day*

Today we all took a break from looking for Delilah, much to Dallas' and my own dismay. But we were over working our selves.

The past four weeks we couldn't find a single trace of her. Not even the police had found anything yet.

The only evidence they had to know that she was alive was that she was spotted last week leaving an old, run down hotel on the side of a main road.

But after that, it's like she dropped off the face of the earth.

*Delilah's POV*

We had just raded a few shops and bakerys. I was informed that they never stole from small businesses or small shops because they understood that they too would be scrambling around like rats in a barrel, just trying to make it through the week until they got bigger and better.

So as we nearer the centre of town, we split off in to smaller groups to attack from all sides.

But the police had been monitoring these street rats. Monitoring them so closely that they could guess when and where they would strike next.

It was as I managed to grab a pasty that the disguised police men and women struck.

Ashley had explained the normal procedure for these types of things. And basically, it was:

RUN LIKE YOUR FREEDOM DEPENDS ON IT!

Well, that was according to Troye. But to Ash, it was:

Run. Don't Look Back. Find A Safe Place And Lay Low. Do Not Come Back To The Hide Out For At Least A Few Nights To Know That You Haven't Been Watched.

And so I did just that.

My feet pounded against the midnight ground as the street lights flickered and spluttered. My breath came out in a cloud of mist as I raced through the streets of the town that I used to call home. My side was burning with a pain I was yet to get used to.

I had never been so glad that I joined a sports team because I knew that I at least had the stamina to run for a long time at a reasonable speed.

But I hadn't exactly been training to run with a stitched up side. It was slowing me down. I could hear the ragged breathes of the police behind me.

One was with in a few paces. I tried to kick it up a notch and swerve through the alleys.

Just as I rounded on to Greys Street, it all went quiet. No more street urchins that had become family, and no more drunkards. But most importantly, no more police. Which meant it was safe enough for me to take a small moment to catch my breathe, gather my bearings and figure out a place to camp out for the night.

But just as suddenly as it became quiet, the noise came back. Harsher and louder. Sirens wailed as police cars and vans raced in to the centre of town. I turned, hoping to make a quick escape only to come face to face with Officer Axel.

There was no way I could get out of this. What with the cars, the vans and all the police men and women on foot. They had blocked off ever side street and ally way. Every shop door. Every metro entrance or exit was blocked by a car and at least two police people.

I was trapped. With no escape.

"Well Delilah. We meet again." Officer Axel sighed, a sad smile on his face.

"Your Dad's been worried sick. Eddie, I mean. Dianna is beside herself. Dallas hasn't slept a full night and Maddie won't stop crying. They'd just gotten you back and then you left. Do you know how much heart ache you've caused by running away? It's not even just your family. Think about all your friends, the people who got you arrested. Think about the teachers at school wondering were the loud kid went. Think about your grand parents and your Aunties, uncles and cousins. Think about your younger sister. Elizabeth doesn't even understand what's going on but what she does understand, is that you left her. And that's not cool Delilah. " he lectured as he put me in cuffs, once again.

Tears had been streaming down my face the moment he spoke about my family. Both of them. Although it sounded like one family cares more than the others.

"I know, Mr Axel. But I thought it was the best thing to do."

"No. You thought it was the easiest thing to do, for you not for anyone else. And that's what makes this worse."