Chapter 14

Chapter 14 - Voice Is Numb

*Delilah's POV*

But I didn't mind. I felt safe.

" Yeah mom, I promise. " and she broke down again.

Things with the De La Garza/Lovatos have been getting better since they picked me up from the police station. I've even taken to calling Diana 'Mom' now, which is kind of weird. But I knew that I would never be able to call her 'mam', despite Ellie (my 'mam') hardly caring about me any more, I could never take away the fact that for 16 years she's been my mam.

Every time I say 'mom', she breaks down crying and hugging me until I almost pass out. I think she's just as happy about it all as I am. Which is nice for a change.

Dallas and I haven gotten even closer, although I didn't think we could. From the start I knew Dallas would be the sister that I got along with the best. Why? Because she never quite gave up on me. Even after the drinking, the running away and the whole getting arrested and what have you, she never doubted me. Which was nice for a change.

And Madison and I have been getting along like a house on fire (which to be fair, we did almost set her hotel room on fire last week; It was an accident, I swear!).
We had all been sitting watching one of Madison's short films on YouTube (and by all I mean Dallas, Maddie, me, mom and Eddie - where Demi was I don't know) when Mom and Eddie suggested bringing in a McDonald's. Mom left Dallas in charge and told her to keep an eye on us.
'Dallas, as the oldest I'm leaving you in charge of these too wild cats!' which of course had me and Madison howling due to having watched High School Musical 1 and 2 the night before.
We were laughing so hard that Maddie fell off her hotel bed, tangled on the sheets and practically crying from laughter.
Mom and Eddie left to go get scran so Dallas, Maddie and I cuddled together to watch a movie. I, of course, chose Camp Rock because I found it hilarious that my sister was in it.
Only 15 minutes in to the movie and Madison had fallen asleep. Dallas got a call from our parents that their car had broken down so she left to go pick them up.
That's when things got dicey.
I woke Madison up so that we could have a pamper session before everyone came back. I found the face masks as Maddie came back to the room with scented candles. She had even managed to find cucumber slices somewhere so we could put them over our eyes.
We lit the candles and put our face masks on, playing soothing music and just talking. It was nice.
That was until she brought up Oliver. I hadn't spoken to him in a long time, and hearing his name hurt but I wouldn't let her know it.
"sooo, my little sister has a crush on that kid. What was his name?" she snapped her fingers "Oliver! He's the one you got arrested with right? Now was it the first time you were at the police station or the second? I'm beginning to lose count!" she laughed as she launched a cucumber slice off my face.
"oh it is onnnn!" I yelled, grabbing a cushion. I threw it with all my might and it hit her directly in the face. Maddie screeched like a banshee before throwing herself on top of me. We wrestled around, managing to lose both our face masks. But what we didn't know we had done, was that we had knocked over one of the scented Yankee Candles. It crashed to the floor spilling melted wax, glass and flames all over the carpet. But we hadn't realised.
She kept teasing me about Oliver so we kept wrestling. Luckily enough Demi came rushing through the door.
"I heard there was gonna be food... What is going on here!?" she yelled, anger clear on her face.
We were in deep shit.

Demi put out the flames and cleaned the carpet as best as she could. She even sent Maddie and I to sit on different sides of the room so that we couldn't possibly do any more damage. It was just an accident!

Before the whole Candle Palaver, Demi and I had been getting along nicely. I felt I could talk to her and be more open. We spoke about what happened when I got drunk at Oliver's. I even confessed some tales from my time with Ashley and Troye. Demi was the one, despite protests from both Dallas and my Mom, had been checking on my side to make sure the wound was healing well. She would hold me if I stayed at their hotel and had a bad dream. She was everything I could have hoped for in a big sister. Well until the Candle.

After that she said I was far too young and far too childish to be trusted to be alone for one second. She said that no one my age would act so reckless and stupid. And obviously she backed this point up with the drinking, running away, stealing and the Candle.

***

I was at Ellie and Arthur's house. I had a ton of school work to catch up on since I ran away. Oliver and the crew had offered to help (aka let me copy up their notes) but Demi told Ellie and Arthur that I wasn't allowed to go any where near Oliver nor any of my friends for that matter because they were bad influences and I couldn't be trusted to be anywhere with out adult supervision.

In fact when she had dropped me off after the Candle she insisted that one of the twins, or Ellie and Arthur for that matter, be with me at all times to stop me from being stupid.

"Lennox would you stop that!" I yelled for the thousandths time as he smacked his hands on the edge of my desk, pretending to be a drummer.

"Oh come on Delilah you can't blame me for being bored. All I can do is sit here and watch you mess up doing bloody trigonometry and writing about how MacBeths ambitions along with the influences of the Witches caused him to descend in to madness and how this represented the evils of regicide! It's Boring!" he sighed, hitting his massive forehead off the desk.

"OK OK fine what ever. I'm getting tired now anyways so I'll call it a night. Which means you can leave cos all I'm gonna do is gan straight to kip (A:/n go straight to sleep) Good night Lennox." he left my room.

That night I slept awful. I had a terrible dream about the man in the house who stabbed me when I first ran away. Waking up in a cold sweat I bundled in to a ball and crawled to the corner of my room. I held myself until the next day, shaking with fear and the memory of pain. I hadn't realised what time it was until Demi knocked on my bed room door.

But the memory of my dream was still all to real so I huddled further in to the corner. My door open, revealing Demi standing there shocked and confused.

That is until she saw the blood which had seeped out of my slowly healing wound.

"oh baby girl, let's get you sorted. How about I clean that mean old cut and me and you can cuddle in your bed for a bit hmm?" she whispered, slowly crouching down to pull me to her arms. Even just her holding me began to calm me down. And now she mentioned my bed, I did begin to feel tired.

"come on sweetheart, ill look after you."