Chapter 13

Chapter 13 - Over Again

*Delilah's POV*

Tears had been streaming down my face the moment he spoke about my family. Both of them. Although it sounded like one family cares more than the others.

"I know, Mr Axel. But I thought it was the best thing to do."

"No. You thought it was the easiest thing to do, for you not for anyone else. And that's what makes this worse."

As Officer Axel gently pushed me in to the back of his car, I caught a glimpse of Troye; Standing by a small, closed cafe he hung his head.

I sent a small, reassuring smile before turning away so that the police couldn't see who I was looking at.

I waited in the back of the car for what seemed like forever (but was probably only 20 minutes) until Officer Axel slunk in to the car.

"I'm taking you to the police station to write up your report. Because you're a minor we can only give you a first warning. But this will stay on your record for a while. I suggest that when we get to the station you start complying and telling us everything we need to know. Then once the statement is written up you will be questioned about your act of defiance. Do you know how hard our men and women have been working to try and find you? Do you know how many lost hope on finding you alive?
But most importantly do you know what you've done to your family? BOTH families? " his eyes were stone cold and unyielding.

I shook my head.

How could I know? Its not like I've been around to see it.

Although the more that Officer Axel spoke, the more my heart dropped. My runaway plan seemed to affect the Lovato/De La Garza family more than it did my normal family.

And the more that I thought about it, ever since Ellie and Arthur told me about the Lovato/De La Garza's, they'd been strange, distant and indifferent to anything that involved me, the Others, and me and the Others.

By the time that we got to the police station I had begun to make myself feel nauseated because of my thoughts.

What if the Thomas family, the people who raised me, didn't really want me any more? What if that's the reason that they didn't care that I ran away? Maybe Diana, Eddie, Dallas, Demi and Maddie are only in England because the Thomas' wanted to hand me back over to them? What if really, all along they just wanted to get rid of me?

All these thoughts refused to stop floating in my head the entire time that the plain clothes officer was trying to write up a decent statement for me.

In the end I was handed the piece of paper to write up the statement myself under careful scrutiny.

Once the report was written up I had to wait in the police stations waiting area.

As the seconds turned to minutes I couldn't help but wonder who on earth would come walking through that door. As much as I wanted it to be Arthur, for him to wrap his arms around me and not let go, I knew, deep deep down in my heart that he wouldn't come.

After waiting an agonising 15 minutes I decided to get some water. In the corner of the dimmly lit waiting area was one of those big water coolers that makes bubbles when you use it. To say I spent at least 5 minutes there would be an under statement. I was so bored that I found the bubbles highly amusing.

But just as I turned around to go to my seat, tattooed arms wrapped tightly around me from behind as some one began to cry. Their tears splashed on to my head as they refused to let go.

I managed to wiggle in their arms enough to turn around, even though I knew who it was.

Demi.

My breathe caught in my throat. For some reason I never thought she would be as devastated as Officer Axel made her out to be. After all, she wasn't exactly the warmest to me before I ran away. So what's changed?

"hi" I whispered, too scared to say much. I was happy to be in her warm embrace and I didn't want to frighten her away.

"Hi. I'm glad you're OK." she said back, just as quietly.

We stayed there for a moment or too. It was just us, stood together in the middle of the waiting room with her holding me as she quietly sobbed.

But then the doors opened.

"Dallas!" I yelled, tearing myself away from Demi and racing to Dallas. She had her arms cast out wide enough to catch me as I practically threw myself towards her.

"Oh my god Delilah! You scared me so fucking much! Me and you have a lot to talk about kiddo. But for now, I'm glad that you're safe and back where you belong. With us." her arms tightened round me as I buried my face in to her t shirt.

I hadn't realised just how much I missed Dallas. Even though I haven't known her long, just being with her makes me feel safe, loved and content.

"I missed you Dally. More than I can say. And... I really am sorry for running away. I promise I'll explain. But, can we leave? Please?" I begged, finally pulling away only to latch on to her hand. I didn't want to let go of her incase she walked away from me. And in my heart I knew she wouldn't do that, but my head wasn't so sure.

"Of course."

We walked out to their car as Eddie spoke to Officer Axel. Waiting in the car, was my mom. And my youngest older sister.

"Hi. Can... Can I have a hug? Please?" I said as I saw Diana.

She teared up and pulled me towards her. She crushed me in to her as she began to rock us and cry.

"Lilah I've missed you so much! How could you be so foolish? Do you know how long we've been looking for you. Your father and I have hardly slept. And the girls have been beside themselves with worry. We're upset, but right now we're all just happy that you're home. I've missed you so much baby. I really have. God I've missed my little girl so much! Never, and I mean never, run away again. Am I understood Delilah? " she said through broken sobs. The hug only got tighter. She was almost cutting off my air supply. But I didn't mind. I felt safe.

" Yeah mom, I promise. " and she broke down again.

A:/N hiya, so it's been a hot minute I'm not gonna lie and I'm super sorry for that. I know that a lot of you guys have been messaging me and commenting wanting me to update and I finally have! I hope you guys liked this chapter, I know it's a bit all over the place but the next chapter is so much better and, I won't lie to you, made me cry as I was writing it :'(

I'm in hospital again all day tomorrow so I will hopefully have plenty of time to be editing and finishing the next chapter so it will be out in a few days (unless I forget again!).

Thank you so so much for reading. Your votes and comments mean so much because I then know that you're enjoying the story, because while I luve writing it I want the readers (you cool cats) to enjoy reading it too. So on the next chapter I may have questions in the section for what you guys want to see happen. But until then, Happy reading!

-LJ x