14🏁

"Kayla?"
I opened the door slowly to face him.
"Uhmm...the bidding is about to start and you were kinda taking long....just wanted to check up on you..." he said nervously. He touched my hand lightly. My body tensed up by instinct at his touch. He must have felt it too.

"Kayla? What's wrong?" He asked concerned.

"Leave me alone Ishmael..." I said trying to walk past him.

He blocked me from passing.
"Kayla what's up? Why are you acting like this?" He asked confused.

Honestly, I don't even know why. I'm just confused...don't know whether to be sad or mad or....

"Mr Jones? The bidding is about to start. They need you up there" a nicely dressed woman interrupted.

"I'll be there shortly" he said turning to her. He turned back to me.

"Go..."I told him.

"Kayla, you need to come with me please..."he begged.

"I'm going to stay..not because you asked me to but because I owe it to the hospital" I told him point blank and walked past him. He followed me back to the hall and I sat down with a neutral face as he climbed the stage. He apologized for his lateness and the bidding started.

In the end, a lot if money was raised. The evening had come to an end...I picked up my purse to go but decided against it. Even though I was mad, I didn't want to embarrass Ishmael. I got bored waiting for him so I started playing a game on my phone ...he was being engaged in a conversation by a wealthy looking man. I could tell he wanted to escape and come talk to me but he just couldn't.

After a while he came over to me and offered me his hand.
"Shall we?" I ignored his hand,got up by myself and started walking to the car. I didn't even wait for him catch up with me or even open my door.

"Kayla...are we going to talk about this? Can you tell me why you're so mad at me all of a sudden?" He asked once we were both in the car.

I looked out of the window, arranging my thoughts.
"Kayla please....." he touched my hand.

I sighed "I don't know okay? I don't know what to think anymore.."

"About what?" He asked.

"About you...about us...." I said.

"Well, tell me what happened. It was in the bathroom right? That's when your behaviour changed" he said. I narrated everything to him and he shook his head in disbelief.

"Kayla, you know one of the reasons I admired you?" He asked. I faced him slowly and he continued."The fact that you are an independent woman who doesn't care what nasty things people say about her. I can't believe you allowed what they said to get to you this badly"

Now I began to ponder over his words...

"How many times do you want me to confess that I'm serious about you? Damn it Kayla it's been weeks now. I would been gone by now if that was the case. I've never asked you for sex Kayla. Never..." he exclaimed.

I felt bad at this point...
"Kayla, I don't want to keep playing games. I stopped that the night I went out with you. Imma say it right here, right now..."

"Ish-"

"I have feelings for you Kayla. I've never felt this way about any other woman. Yes, I've been with lots of women, but I've never felt this way about any of them before I swear"

I was speechless. Honestly, I didn't know what to say. I felt the sincerity in his voice, through every word he said. My heart was doing wonderful things to me as I sat there.
He sighed when I turned away from him and stared outside again. He turned on the car and started driving me home.

We rode in silence...both of us obviously occupied with our thoughts.

"Goodnight Ishmael" I said opening the door before he had the chance to. I felt bad running away like this but....

I unlocked the door quickly and shut the door behind me. After a while, I heard Ishmael ride off.
I sighed in relief..I needed to be alone to think.

After washing down, I changed into my pjs and brushed my teeth. Then I sat down on my bed to think....

Why am I doing this to him? He just admitted he liked me and I ignored it. AGAIN! Ughh I'm truly horrible. I like him too...there's no denying. But what about what I have with Andre? Is that real too? How am I supposed to handle this? I can't even call Curtis, I'm sure he's asleep...don't wanna wake him...

I was pulled out off my thoughts by the sound of the doorbell. That's odd..It'a almost 10.30pm. Who could it be? Lynn? Did she leave something?

I put on my housecoat and went downstairs.I peeped through the hole and saw a familiar face...

"Ishmael? What are you doing here" I asked once I opened the door.

"Can I come inside...please?" He asked softly. I nodded and he stepped inside. We sat on a sofa in the hall.

"Kayla, I wanted to tell you that your company made my night lovely " he said.

"Ishmael..you didn't drive back here to tell me this. At least..not just this. Why are you here" I asked him

He sighed and then took my hands in his. "Kayla, tell me the truth..."

"About what?"

"I confessed my how I felt to you and you practically ignored me. I realised on my way home that I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight if I didn't have your answer. So tell me please Kayla, the truth ...do you feel the same way about me?"

I looked into his eyes with a certainty in my heart.......

TBC💖