14 | let's start over

• [ l e t ' s  s t a r t  o v e r ] •

♥ gabriel ♥

"UH, THE LAST time I drank alcohol?" I repeated the therapist's question, biting back a grin. "I've proudly been sober for six months."

Six hours.

The forty-something-year-old, curly-haired woman nodded with a smile before scribbling something down on her clipboard. Sitting on the third finger of her dark skin was a silver ring that said Mum.

"And when was the last time you did drugs, Gabriel?" Dr Akintola asked me, her beady eyes carefully surveying me behind her square glasses. When I first met her an hour ago, her down-to-business-look had scared the life out of me however the more I lied to her, the more I realised she was an utter fool.

Last night.

"Hmm... I can't really remember. Probably seven or eight months," I answered, reclining on the leather brown chair that I was sat in, and gazing at the antique grandfather clock that was in the corner of the room.

This was kinda fun. The compulsive liar side of me was howling in joy.

"When did your nightmares return?"

"A week ago."

"The last time you smoked?"

"Four months ago."

"The last time you lied?"

"A second ago." I was busy looking at the photo of a pretty girl, who I guessed was Dr Akintola's daughter on the desk when I realised what I'd said.

"Ah shit." My eyes darted back to the therapists face and I sat up straighter. She folded her hand in her lap, looking at me sternly yet sympathetically.

"I'm sorry Gabriel but this isn't going to work if you don't tell me the truth." Her voice was soft and understanding. "Elizabeth Reid, or your lovely grandmother, has kindly paid for your sessions here so please help me help you."

Nanna had offered to drop me here too yet I'd refused and told her I'd get the bus. It wasn't much of a choice. I needed space and I hadn't touched the steering wheel since that night.

The bus was the only other feasible option.

I scoffed. "Help me? I don't need help," I said, rocking on the chair. I knew I was acting like a douche but I couldn't help it. "Nobody can help me."

"Gabriel, we can work through this together. I just need you to open up a little more. Why don't you just give it a try?" Her voice was patient and kind which I got on my nerves. I'd forgotten how annoying therapists could get. When I had told Nanna that I'd got to the session today, I'd totally hoped I would bag a super hot, ditzy doctor.

Rubbing the bridge of my nose, I let out a frustrated breath. "Fine. Let's start over."

She smiled at me, satisfied. "Okay good. How about we come back to these questions later? Now, what brings you here?"

My hands started getting clammy and I grabbed the glass of water to take a sip. "Certainly not me. My Nanna practically shoved me through the bloody d-"

"That's not what I mean, Gabriel. You know that," the doctor responded calmly, her eyes still trained on me.

This woman was resilient as hell.

I let out a sigh. Although I was a bit of an idiot sometimes, I knew deep down that I needed help. I quickly asked if this was confidential to which she nodded. Keeping that in mind, I forced myself to tell the truth. "I've been having these nightmares for a while but they've got a lot worse recently."