3

Dinner lasted longer than you would have liked. A celebration called for several entrees and two desserts, then after dinner tea. By the end of it all, it was well passed midnight, and you were ushered out of the dining area, your betrothed at your side.

You needed to talk to him. You wondered if he was thinking about the same things you were - you wondered if he was thinking about you.

Your family lingered in the hall, bidding goodbye to the officers. You took the quick second you had as an opportunity.

"Kylo Ren," you said, testing the name on your tongue. Your voice was unsteady.

NOT HERE.

The words were crystal clear and loud. They weren't in your ears, but in your mind - and you could hear them as plain as day. He was speaking to you in your head.

Your eyebrows furrowed and his dark eyes flashed in warning, making you want to keep quiet.

WE WILL SPEAK LATER.

You nodded. Barely.

His officers were waiting for the cue to depart and head back to the ship. Kylo, never not looking at you, grabbed your right hand and kissed your knuckles.

"Your highness," he said, and he gently let go of your hand.

You regained your composure. "Commander Ren," you replied, bowing your head. "It was wonderful to finally meet you, my betrothed."

"Welcome to the family, Commander Ren," your mother said. The use of the word family made you sick. It made you long for something in your past that you couldn't quite remember.

He nodded. "I will return tomorrow morning for breakfast with the leaders of nearby planets. We will discuss treaties and begin to plan war strategies after the wedding."

"Sounds perfect, Commander."

His eyes shifted back to yours. You swore they softened. "Goodnight, your majesties."

"Goodnight," your mother said, and you whispered the same.

Everyone departed back to their rooms besides your guard. He held back as you watched Kylo disappear down the hall, his black cloak fluttering behind him.

//

Instead of going to bed, you requested for your handmaidens to run you a hot bath. They did so, and you sat on the edge of your bed in a thin robe while you waited. They brought in fluffy towels and sat them beside the edge of the tub. One of the handmaidens offered to stay behind to help you dress after. You dismissed her, assuring her that you could handle it yourself.

They left, and you closed the door. It did not lock. 

Turning towards the tub, you shed your thin robe and let it fall around your feet in a pool of ebony. You stepped in the warm water that was topped with rose petals and tinted pink with different oils and salts that were added. 

Once you sank all the way in, you sucked in a deep breath, then released it. 

It did not relax your muscles. 

Your mind was reeling. Out of all of the people that you could've been arranged to marry, you got the one boy that your mind was forbidden to remember. 

You longed to remember who he was. 

Maybe you could... 

"Okay," you whispered, inhaling deeply. The sweet scent of roses filled your senses. Your eyelids fluttered shut and you thought back to what you could remember and took in every single detail of those still so silent memories.