7

"He claims it's always been part of your basic training," Kylo said, standing across your room.  His voice was strained and he wore a look of pure disgust as he spoke. "He claims that you simply forgot the severity of it after slacking off for a week and a half."

You scoffed, "As if people will believe-"

"Some do."

Your eyebrows furrowed. "Who?"

"Lucielle, for one," he said. "Your mother. Your father."

"Of course," you sighed. "Wait - my father? How is he - I thought he was sick in bed, unable to even speak."

Your fiance raised his shoulders in an exhausted shrug. "I don't know."

You dropped your head, your hair falling off your shoulder. You couldn't believe that your own family was taking your step uncle's side. Of course, there was no love in your family, but there was common sense - or so you thought. You moved your hand to rest your head on it. 

"Careful," he said, taking a step forward. He reached out and stroked his fingers down the side of your head. "Don't pull out your stitches."

You lifted your chin, looking up at him. His fingers brushed against your jawline.

He inhaled deeply and took his hand back. He stepped away. 

"What do we do?" you asked. "How do my own people not believe me? Am I not their future queen?"

"I will consult the Supreme Leader," he said. "I wonder how he will feel knowing that the Force user he chose was pressed up against a wall with a hand against her throat."

You tucked your hands under your legs. "I don't remember that being part of my training."

Kylo neared you again. Although he did not touch you, he said softly, "Things will be okay, princess. I promise."

You bit down on your lip softly and shook your head. "Ever since you got here... things have been odd. I feel like I have lost control. Something is different inside of me."

Kylo stared at you. With a hiss, the doors opened.

Lucielle stepped inside, looking shocked when she saw Kylo. She jumped back slightly, then smiled.

"Oh," she said, "Commander, what are you doing alone with the princess? I figured this was against the rules."

"Under the circumstances, this is not," you spat.

"Hm." She looked Kylo up and down, then smirked. "How are you feeling, sister? Training got a little rough today, I see."

"That wasn't training, and you know it. He was trying to kill me, and you are letting the attempted murderer of your future queen march freely." You rose off of your bed and stood tall.

"I will have to see actual proof of this," she said, and she walked out.

You sighed, collapsing back on the bed.

Kylo seemed troubled. "I should go. I must consult with the Supreme Leader."

"Oh," you said, then you dropped your voice to a whisper. "Will you come back tonight?"

"I suppose, but you are very weak. Save your strength-"

"No. Actually come. Just sit here with me."

He paused, swallowed, and looked away.

You tilted your head. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have..."

"No, I will," he said. He closed the space between you and him, barely brushing his fingers against your jawline. "I have spent forever away from you. I am tired of that."