13

Once her body stilled on the velvet carpet, you felt Kylo's arm wrap around your shoulders. He turned you away and walked quickly towards the doors. Once you were in the hall, you fell against the wall, face in your hands. 

"What do you propose we do, princess?" Kylo asked, looking down at you. 

You dropped your hands and looked up at him. "Um-" You sniffed and wiped the tears off of your cheeks. You smiled. "Well - I'm not really a princess, huh?"

"You're more a princess than anyone in this kingdom," he said. "You're more a queen than your mother. You're more a king than your father. You're more than all of these people."

You shook your head. "That monster is my father, Ben. I'm - I'm related to him. I-I can't help but think about all that he did to me. All that was planned-"

"Think of who I am related to," he said. "Does it matter?"

You exhaled. "No," you whispered. 

"You killed your father. You killed your mother. I killed your sister. Your past is dead now."

You looked at the floor. "Okay," you breathed. 

He stepped forward, hands resting on either side of your hips. "What do you propose we do now? The power is in your hands."

You stared at the center of his chest. "I want a handful of officers to escort my sisters onto a ship. I want my mother's body to be placed on the throne next to Alastor. I want the thrones set on fire, and I want to have this whole palace come crashing to the ground. Tonight."

"What about your people?" he asked. 

"They can decide whether they become training officers of the First Order or remain here to live in the ruins." Your voice was cold, unforgiving, and distant. "It's up to them. I will not rule a kingdom that sits upon this much shame and deceit."

He nodded. "I'll give the order." He turned away-

You grabbed his wrist. "Wait," you said. Your eyes flickered up to meet his. "There's something else I want."

/ / /

Barely an hour later, you stood directly in front of the throne. In your shaking hands, the king's crown rested. It was the crown that was going to be placed on top of Kylo's head after your wedding. 

Heavy footsteps behind you made you turn your head. His wide set brown eyes were on yours as he walked up the few stairs that lead to the two thrones. You kept your eyes on him as he now stood beside you, the queen's crown in his hands. It was the same crown that would be placed on your head if you had ever had the chance to marry him.

According to tradition, the husband would place the queen's crown upon her head, and the wife would place the crown upon his.

But you were no longer interested in ruling over this kingdom.

"Are you ready?" Kylo asked. 

You didn't respond, but you looked at the corpse sitting on the throne directly in front of you.

His skin now hung loosely from his face. His piercing golden eyes were glazed over, the whites of them cloudy and grey. His head was slumped over. 

"You desired the crown so much, Alastor," you said, voice laced with hate. "Why don't you finally try it on." You placed it upon his head, pushing it too far down into his hair. The bottom of it scraped into his scalp and drew blood. "Long live the king."

You simply lifted his head and leaned it against the back of the throne. 

Kylo placed the queen's crown on your mother's head. He did not say a word. Neither did you. There was nothing left for either of you to say to her.

Wordlessly, you took his hand and looked up at him. He leaned down and kissed the top of your head before walking down the steps. He held your hand carefully, gazing at you with fierce eyes as he said, "You look beautiful."

You did. Dressed in the wedding dress created for you by designers in your palace, you wore a cream colored gown that dragged along the floor. Rose patterns were stitched into the skirt of the dress. You wore no crown, no veil. Nothing to hide your face. Just a gown and a pair of cream colored boots.

The officiant waited a few feet away, by the open doors that showed the outside of the palace. You and Kylo approached him, gazing at each other, not smiling, but taking in how the other looked. 

When you got to where you were supposed to stand, you turned towards him and took both of his hands. 

"Let's get this through as quickly as possible," Kylo said to the officiant, who nodded. Kylo turned to you and said softly, "I am tired of not being married to you already."

The officiant spoke first, and then it was your turn. 

"Kylo Ren, my Commander," you said, "all my life, I was lied to, betrayed, wronged, and hurt. But never by you. You are the only person in my life that has shown me every glimpse of good there is. You are the boy that I loved all those years ago. You are the man that I love now. And I will spend forever gratefully ruling this galaxy at your side.No one can tear us apart now." You squeezed his hands. "I love you with everything inside of me. I vow to remain with you forever. Do you accept this? Do you accept me?"

"I do. ___, you are the girl that I loved all of those years ago. I never stopped loving you. I spent forever wishing there was a way to get to you. I missed a lot of time. I didn't protect you the way I should have."

"Kylo" you breathed, shaking your head.

He let go of one of your hands to cup your cheek. You fell silent as he stared at you.

"If I had been brave enough, you would've been removed from the nightmare you lived in years ago. I was weak then, even recently. But I intend to make up for that now. I love you with everything that I have and am. I vow to protect you, to share the galaxy with you, and to be with you from now on until I stop breathing. Do you accept this and do you accept me?"

"I do," you breathed. 

The officiant granted permission for you and Kylo to kiss as husband and wife. Keeping your fingers locked with his, you reached up on your tiptoes and shut your eyes. His lips met yours and you pressed your lips against his passionately. He squeezed his eyes closed and kissed you, moving his hands from yours to press against the small of your back for the briefest of moments.

As you broke away, from the corner of your eyes, you saw the thrones erupt in flames. You turned to face the destruction, your hand joining Kylo's once more. The curtains caught fire. The pillars of the castle began to crumble. 

"Your past does not define you," he said to you. "You are no princess. You are Supreme Leader of the First Order."

"And the wife of Kylo Ren, Commander of the First Order," you added. You glanced up at him. "Call me sentimental, but that is the best title of the two." 

He chuckled softly and squeezed your hand. "The ship is waiting for us."

You and Kylo turned, looking at one another. Quickly, you walked out of the palace for the last time.