5

The rest of your morning, you sat near Kylo Ren's side as he delivered speeches and lead meetings. In between them, you and Kylo had to pretend that you've almost never spoken before. You knew that if your mother, step uncle, or any of Kylo's superiors knew that you had a life outside of this, something bad would happen.

But during one of the meetings, Kylo was able to sit down next to you. A long table sat a handful of ranking officers as well as your step uncle, who once again was stepping in for your father, your mother, you, and Kylo. Hux stood on the opposite side of the table. All eyes were on him.

YOU SEEMED AGITATED THIS MORNING.

Hearing his voice in your mind caught you off guard, even though you'd heard it several times and seen him.

I WAS.

He never moved his body once as he thought. DID SOMETHING HAPPEN?

You took in a quiet but deep breath. MY SISTER. SHE SEEMS TO THINK THAT SHE WOULD BE A BETTER QUEEN AND A BETTER WIFE THAN I WOULD.

Kylo did not say a word. You kept staring at Hux, but you nearly lost your composure when you felt his gloved fingertips brush against your arm. You stiffened slightly, feeling heat rush to your face.

Your mind flickered back to that touch in the temple. The brush against your cheek.

THANK YOU.

Once again, he did not respond. His fingers disappeared, but not before dragging against your arm for the smallest of moments.

It was a tiny gesture in a short amount of time - but it was dangerous. And you started to become afraid.

And you wondered - how did no one in your family recall Kylo Ren? How did no one notice how similar he looked to Han Solo, who you knew they knew? How was it so easily hidden behind a tightly kept composure, dark clothes, and a single scar running down the length of his face?

In less than a month now, you would be crowned Queen, and that same day you would wed Kylo Ren. Although you did not love the man you sat next to, you were grateful to the Force that it was him that you were with.

He had showed you compassion once before. And now it seems that, even though Ben Solo is dead and gone, he can show it to you now, too.

/ / /

That night, he appeared next to you again. This time, you weren't even laying down for bed when it happened.

You had just slipped out of your gown and into your favorite nightgown for the night. You'd asked the handmaidens for time alone (something you never did) and did all of the folding of the dirty gown, the brushing of your hair, and the difficult job of scrubbing the makeup off of your face all on your own.

As you sat in front of the mirror, moving the warm, damp cloth around your face, he appeared. You caught him in the reflection of your mirror and gasped, turning around in your seat.

"You scared me," you said.

"My apologies."

You placed the cloth down and stood up. Tonight, it looked as if he was really in your room. You crossed your arms and observed him.

"What are you doing here?" you asked him.

"Did you not want me?" he questioned.

You shook your head. "I... didn't say that. I wondered what your intentions are, is all."

He took two steps towards you. "The Force pulls me to you. I am trying to figure out why."

"Perhaps because we are betrothed?"