{22} - Tyler

-~-~-

Tyler squeezed a small, squishy, red ball in his hand, silently hoping she'd enter his room at any moment.

He was waiting for Shelby, since it had been almost a year since they've last scene each other in person. Sometimes the Internet just isn't enough. She told him she'd come and visit him, since he could barely move a finger or a limb from his hospital bed at times from the amount of depression and stress that came along with his sickness, and he didn't like it, not one bit. He pulled on his IV in a bored way, but not too hard as to kill himself. He couldn't waste Shelby's time, or her plane ticket money.

"Tyler, someone has come to see you." A young nurse he personally knows for a quite a while now said as she smiled softly and moved out of the way, to reveal the one and only, Shelby. She had a sad smile plastered on her lips as she slowly approached him.

"Hi. . ." Tyler muttered.

"Hey." Shelby said, pulling the nearest chair next to Tyler's white bed. "How are you feeling?"

Tyler groaned and he ran his fingers through his short hair, but not too roughly as to pull it off, "Terrible, I feel like shit, and the surgeries are boring as hell."

Shelby chuckled and she squeezed his stiff hand tightly, "You'll get better soon. . ."

"Cancer isn't the best situation in the world, you know." Tyler frowned as he held her hand. "But I guess it helps to have hope, doesn't it?"

Shelby smiled and nodded, "It sure does."

"So, can you like, give me a hug now?" Tyler suggested as he smirked.

Shelby laughed and nodded as she leaned in and hugged him tightly, while Tyler did the same, but he hugged with more caution and gentleness. Once they were back in their previous spots, Shelby bit her bottom lip, "Tyler. . . Can I ask you something?"

"Hm?" Tyler asked as he looked up at her with an eyebrow raised.

"Let's say I'm in your position, not to worry you or anything, but, what would you do if I. . . Died?"

Tyler raised his eyebrows in surprise, "The hell type of question is that? Are you sick?"

"No of course not! I'm perfectly healthy! I just want your opinion!" Shelby replied abruptly.

Tyler sighed and he shook his head, "I uh. . . I would be depressed without you. . . I wouldn't know where else to go or how to grieve for you I'd be. . . Lost. . ."

"Ok. . . Now let's put ourselves in the same shoes we are in now. I'd react the exact way you just explained. Depressed, lonely, etc." Shelby said as she licked her lips anxiously.

"So, what's your point?" Tyler asked curiously.

"Tyler. . . I love you, I really do. Every single moment we talk, we laugh, I just, enjoy making you happy! It makes me light hearted and you just make my day." Shelby explained, her eyes turning glossy. Tyler watched silently as her bottom lip trembled and she looked away as she wiped a tear with her sweater, "But. . ."

"But what?" Tyler asked anxiously, his palm sweating as he squeezed her hand, begging her to continue.

"I. . . I'm afraid to get my HEART broken ok?! I don't want to see you die! I don't want to see you like this! I suffer internally whenever I visit you a-and have to put up with the fact that you may not make it! I'm afraid! I don't want to grieve for days on end, o-or get depressed, or get lost! T-Tyler I-. . ." Shelby's shaky voice broke him. He should have seen it coming, but he was too blind to sense it.

But he insisted, "Shelby, I'll make it! I promise!"

She shook her head, and her eyes finally gave up on her and tears fell down her cheeks, and she covered them with her hands as she stood up, "Tyler I'm sorry, I can't. . ."

"Shelby."

"Tyler stop." Shelby replied as her voice trembled.

"Quit playing with me Shelby you, y-you can't just do this to me!" Tyler insisted nearly in tears.

She made her way towards the room's door as she turned back to look at him for one last time, just before he could react or talk,

"Tyler I. . . I give up."

-Author's Note-

Omfg my heart

Yeah vote for a sad chapter!

I hope to update most when on the weekends bc I'm not exactly as busy

Yeah thanks for the support I love it and you all! <3