Chapter 21: Her Nightmares

Beth's POV:

I lay there and try not to think about how worried Maggie and the others probably are but I can't help it. And the thought of Eliza and her mother finding out that Morales is dead!

I know what it feels like to lose you're father, it sucks. It more than sucks. There's no word to describe it. I close my eyes hoping that it will block out my thoughts, but it dosent.

A couple minutes later, Daryl opens the tent cover and sits inside next to me. He's holding a plate of what looks like vomit. It's quite disgusting looking actually. So I squinch up my face and question,

" What is this?"

" Not sure" is all he replies with a chuckle. "It's safe though cause I ate it yesterday" he finishes with a shrug.

I glance between him and the plate a couple of times when my stomach growls. I think to myself, I really need to eat something as I take a tiny bite of the slop like a little kid who's being told that they have to eat peas and surprisingly it wasn't that bad. Let's just say it was gone in a matter of minutes.

Daryl holds out his hand and takes the plate from me. He sets it down beside him and asks,

" Are you okay?"

I look at him and then fiddle with my hands. Finally I respond,

" I think so... I mean things could be better and things could be worse. It's all about acceptance, I guess."

Daryl gives me a questioning look of I explain further,

" For instance, I know that if this outbreak hadn't of happened then daddy would probably still be alive, but at the same time I probably never would of met you. Like Jimmy and I would probably be engaged and had one on the way by now if not for the outbreak, but I never would have been able to take care and be there for Judith. It's strange how one awful, sick, twist of fate can change everything. Some changes are for the better.... where as others are for the worse. I'm just learning to accept it, that's all..." I finish as a tear rolls down my face.

Daryl now understanding, pulls me in for a hug, kisses the top if my head, and tells me to get some rest while I can cause we're leaving for Terminus tomorrow.

Daryl's POV:

After I leave Beth, I go to Sargent Walter to talk over the plan for tomorrow, but what he has to say takes me off gaurd,

" Well, Daryl... most of us aren't going with you. In fact there's only two people going with you, and that's, Sarah and Victor."

At this new information I ask,

" Why Sarah and Victor? "

The very same moment, Sarah walks up and answers for the Sargent.,

" Because Victor and I are sick of living out in the wilderness"

I chuckle a little and say,

" that's your reason?"

She nods and I just shake my head. I then turn to the Sargent and ask,

" Wait, what's your reason for not going?"

" From what I've seen and heard of your type of people in your group, you seem, what's the word?.... disorganized. And I just don't want to live with people who are bound to die" He answers matter of factly.

At what he's just said I feel the need to knock his teeth out but I remain calm and realize that it's his loss not ours. Why would we want a full of himself guy who calls himself Sargent in our group? He's just like the Governor only he's not threatening our home.

" We're leaving at dawn. Tell Victor" I say to Sarah without removing my stare from Sargent Walter.

That's when Sargent Walter does some sort of wave and walks off. At that I go back to Beth's tent and get settled to go to sleep. I lay down and close my eyes but I just can't seem to doze off. I roll over to face Beth. She's asleep but stirring a little from her nightmares. I wish there was a way to stop her from having them. But there isn't because. I still have them from time to time. Besides the night mare's real. We're living every day we survive in this world. But like Beth said, it's all about acceptance.