chapter thirteen | HEART MONITOR

She walked into English and took a hesitant seat beside Stiles and Scott, observing them closely. Stiles' jaw was clenched, and Scott was apologizing for the hundredth time. Sheriff Stilinski had gotten a minor injury at the parent-teacher conference, and Scott was there and a werewolf and should have prevented it or something—she hadn't gotten much from the jeep ride that morning, so, she had to take it upon herself and piece everything together. Regardless, she would play Switzerland.

"Hey!" She finally greeted, getting a couple of mumbles in return. She set her bag on the floor and sighed that they had yet to make up.

"Okay—what if I told you that I'm trying to figure this whole thing out? And? That I went to Derek for help." She looked at Scott with wide eyes, knowing this was bound to get a response out of their awkward best friend. She wouldn't even tell him about Derek's visit to save herself the annoyance. Stiles leaned his head back and, after a short minute, let out a long breath.

"If I were talking to you, I'd say you're an idiot for trusting him. But obviously, I'm not talking to you."

Nara rolled her eyes, and Scott let out an exasperated sigh. The bell rang, and everyone started getting their things out—then and suddenly—Stiles turned hastily in his seat.

"What did he say?"

(TEEN WOLF)

"He wants you to tap into your animal side and get angry?" Nara asked as the three of them walked out the door—her tone making it clear that she thought this was the dumbest thing she'd ever heard.

"Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but every time you do that, you try to kill someone, and that someone's usually me?" Stiles added dramatically. She nodded her head in agreement. Though, one could argue that it was just a bad case of Stiles always being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"He has a point."

"I know, that's what Derek means when he said he doesn't know if he can teach me. I have to be able to control it." Scott explained as she stared at him with a raised eyebrow.

"Well, how's he gonna do that?"

"I don't know, and I don't think he does either," Scott muttered.

"Okay, when are you seeing him again?" Stiles huffed in annoyance.

"I don't know. He just told me not to talk about it and to act normal and to get through the day." Scott rambled as Stiles pulled both of them to a stop and looked at Scott.

"When?"

"He's picking me up at the animal clinic after work," Scott replied as Stiles gave her a mischievous look.

"After work, okay. That gives us until the end of the school day, then." He grabbed Nara's arm, and the girl furrowed her eyebrows skeptically.

"To do what?" Scott asked as confused as she was.

"To teach you ourselves." He pulled the girl in the opposite direction.

(TEEN WOLF)

She took a seat next to Scott, watching as he hid behind a large book. She gave Stiles' a look, and he pointed to a couple of tables over to where Allison was showing a picture to Lydia, who quickly got up and walked away.

Derek wanted Scott to stay away from her. 

"I think the book's making it more obvious," Stiles said sharply. Scott looked up from the book to Allison and then back at Stiles.

"She's reading anyway." She gestured before taking a bite of her salad.

"Did either of you come up with a plan yet?" Scott asked, looking between the two.