Not So Bad

Steve raised his diamond sword high above his head, the blade gleamed in the light, even as he swung it downwards and struck his target, a pork chop. Yes that is correct, Steve owned a diamond sword, the most sought after weapon in existence, and he was using it as a kitchen knife.

Alex watched him, disapprovingly. She spent ages on that gift, only to watch him use it for such a blasphemous purpose.

"You know that's not what it's for." She scoffed.

"Well what else am I going to use it for?" Steve asked, almost jokingly. His only response from the redhead was a grunt.

Steve finished chopping up the pork, and lightly adjusted its placement on the plate. Steve grabbed the small bowl of carrots he'd sliced earlier and put them on the plate, despite his cousin's deep hatred of them. He picked up her plate and his own happily before walking over to the table and setting the dishes down. If Alex's mood, though already bad, was decreased even further at the sight of the wretched orange vegetable. She scrunched up her nose and glared at the man. Steve gasped playfully.

"Oh my, could it be that the great and powerful Alex has been defeated by a carrot?" He said aloud. Without taking her eyes off him, she picked up her fork, stabbed a carrot slice, and ate it.

Most nights were like this, just the two of them eating with together, lovingly mocking each other. However, today was Tuesday, and unbeknownst to Alex, every Tuesday night Steve would go out and explore. He didn't get to leave the village often, especially at night. Alex and him spent the weekdays patrolling it during the day, and the weekends patrolling it at night. There was no reason to leave other then Alex's monthly monster hunting trips. They're supposed to go out to collect supplies, and they do, but Steve knows the real reason why Alex took the job with him. Eventually, they both got up and exchanged a "goodnight" before heading to their rooms.

He listened closely as he laid in his bed, waiting until he was a hundred percent positive the bloodthirsty woman was asleep. He quietly got out of bed and left his room. He glanced at her bedroom door, and to his relief all the lights were on. Of course having only one light on was the norm, but Steve knew Alex was deeply afraid of the dark, and one light just wouldn't do. She always lies about it, having a fear, but Steve knows her well enough to see through it. She can only sleep peacefully when every corner is full of light and warmth.

He sighed softly as he looked away. She'd never understand his love of the night, his desire to learn about the creatures his world so deeply feared. The libraries, full of ways to kill beasts and what loot you'll obtain for doing so, but not a single page could tell you what they actively enjoyed, except the occasional "murdering everything" that he found laughable. He wanted to write the book that would change his world, the book that would make people listen. Though, he'd publish it anonymously, of course. He's already started on the book, actually.

He walked outside silently and closed the door behind him. He took a deep breath and smiled. The air always smelled sweeter after sunset. He leaned against the door and observed the sky fondly. He held back a soft laugh as he thought of the redhead inside. She always said the night sky could only truly be beautiful in paintings, but she doesn't see it like he does, in fact she doesn't even look up at it for more than a second or two. Steve however, could stare at it for hours. To him, even in this bright village, where all the stars appeared so much dimmer, he could still see their immense beauty. As far as his eyes could see was gorgeous and mysterious stars, so close and yet so far from his reach. He heard their was a forbidden world just below his feet, made of stars. It was impossible to reach, but he knows he'll never stop wishing to see it.

Eventually he forced himself to leave the trance-like state and moved away from the house. He pulled his book out and walked away from the village. He glanced at is inventory for a moment before continuing to walk. He knew he'd eventually get hungry, but his only source of food was bits of rotten flesh. He couldn't take any actual and morally correct food from the house, Alex would've immediately noticed it was missing and begin questioning him. He was disgusted with himself, but he tried to ignore it. He walked around for awhile, writing about the phantoms he watched flying up in the clouds, they almost looked like they were dancing, it was clear to him they were content with the sleeping habits of the inhabitants of this land. He continued walking until he eventually found a pond. He smiled and sat down beside it, getting out his fishing rod. Raw fish was infinitely better than rotten flesh. He quietly waited, and waited, and waited. He sighed and pulled out the rotten flesh, maybe he could use it as bait for the fish? He tried placing some on the line an- OH SHOOT never mind here comes a drowned ready to eat his face. He freaking lost it at the sight of the flesh hungry entity. Monsters are great from a distance, he didn't want them up close. He's not crazy, he could die! He immediately tossed the rotten flesh at the horrific beast and scooted back.

To his surprise, this actually stopped the mob from perusing him. The drowned sniffed the meat tossed at it and ate it. The thing coughed a bit of water out before looking at Steve and tilting it's own head.

"Zombie?" It asked him. Steve was in even bigger shock than he was before. The drowned was speaking to him. He quickly collected himself and wrote this down in his book, and luckily for him the monster patiently waited.

"Uh- yes! I am." Steve said enthusiastically. This was an amazing breakthrough!

"Oh, huh... sorry for spooking you. Uh, I'm Charles." He smiled awkwardly and held out his cold, wet, wrinkly, repulsive, blue-green hand. Of course, Steve happily reached out and shook it.

"Howdy, Charles, I'm Steve." The eccentric 'traveler' replied. Charles chuckled softly.

"You're quite cheery, Steve, it's sort of comforting."

"Thanks, I'm glad you find my presence enjoyable."

"Honestly, I'm glad too. It's much better than swimming around here sulking."

"Oh... that's... sad." Steve paused. This Charles fellow shows a wide variety of emotions, doesn't he. Steve took his hand back and wrote in his book.

"What're you writing anyways?" Charles asked calmly.

"I'm writing down the events I witness. It's like a diary."

"Huh... neato."

Steve chuckled at the last word... hah... neato. 

"So Charles, you have anyone with you?" He asked.

"Nope, I kinda just chill out here alone. Guess nobody else is stupid enough to fall into this pond."

"Oh come on now, don't say that."

"Well it's true."

"Well I guess I can see why you spend all your time sulking."

This got a sad laugh out of Charles. He nodded softly and finally got out of the water to sit beside Steve. They didn't talk much after that, they just shared a moment of silence as they both looked up at the stars. Sometimes the strongest bonds form without words, and Charles had a feeling this was one of those bonds.