Potentially Heroic

Steve walked hours before sunrise, knowing it was best he got some rest. He sighed as he breathed in the night air. Then he quickly realized he was being lifted, or at least the grass he was standing on was being lifted.

"Hello kind sir, would you mind if I took your fine block of grass? It just shines so eloquently in the moonlight." A slightly warped effeminate voice asked politely.

"U-uh-" Steve froze up a bit. After a moment he jumped down to face a rather fabulous enderman. He had a fur collared jacket on, which surprised Steve a bit.

"Yes, of course you can." Steve responded with a smile.

"Ah yes, thank you! Truly, you're much kinder than most folks!" The endermen thanked him before teleporting away.

A small interaction, but one that lightened Steve's mood. He walked the rest of the way home with a warm fuzzy feeling in his heart. He was relieved to see that Alex was still indeed a deep sleeper. He went to his room quietly, changing into his pjs and going to sleep.

The next morning he woke up a bit earlier then the day before. He noticed Alex was awake, but still in her room, so he didn't bother her. He instead made toast and eggs for breakfast. Toasting the bread inside the furnace and cooking the eggs on the top of it. He made her and omelette and himself scrambled eggs. He placed everything on plates and set the table before pouring apple juice for them both and waiting for her. He didn't touch his food at all until she stumbled out of her room and sat down at the table.

"Good morning Alex." Steve said fondly.

Alex glanced and him and waved before chugging her juice and scarfing down her eggs and toast. Steve hadn't even finished half of his food by the time she was done.

"Well, um... close the door on your way out I guess." He said quietly as she got up and left him alone in the house.

He glanced around nervously. He really didn't want to be alone after that one night. He just didn't feel safe anymore. He sank down into his seat and tried to power through the fear. He'd never get over it if he avoided the problem, it probably wasn't even anything to begin with. At least, that's what he thought until he heard a voice.

""Hello, Steve correct?"" A deep and- demonic(?) voice asked. Steve immediately froze and his eyes darted around for a source to the voice.

""Don't bother, I'm kind of... in your head."" They added quickly.

"W-What?"

""Hush, you'll look crazy if someone were to waltz in.""

""Like this?""

""Yes, just think like that, I can read your thoughts.""

""All of them?!""

""No just the ones you want me to.""

""...""

""Steve?""

""Sorry I was testing it.""

""Yeah, okay. Listen Steve, I've been watching you for the past few weeks. I wasn't really sure about you until recently, but I think you can help me.""

""With what?""

""Ah, this is so relieving. I thought you'd be much less calm.""

""Oh no, I'm terrified trust me.""

""... Anyways, I've had my body stolen, which is why I've possessed you. I was hoping you could help me get it back."

""YOUR BODY?""

""Yeah yeah, it sucked. It's been so long since I've been in it. Which is why I want it back! I need someone willing to help because otherwise I could be forced out of my host.""

""So if I really wanted to, I could just get rid of you?""

""Yeah, but you won't.""

""How are you so sure?""

""Because you're a nice guy Steve, and want to or not it's hard for you to say no.""

""How long have you been possessing me?""

""On and off since around a week ago. I stopped so I could watch you two nights ago.""

""That was you?""

""Yes, I know you're angry but I needed to see how you'd react.""

""I'm guessing you got the result you wanted, considering you're still here and all.""

""Actually no, I'm just really desperate.""

""Oh well thanks for the confidence boost.""

""Sorry.. sorry.""

""Who would even want your body?""

""Who wouldn't?""

""...""

""The enderdragon, he saw me as a threat and had me crystalized. My soul was able to escape, but my body is kind of a big purple statue at the moment.""

""You want me to go to The End and defeat one of the most powerful beings in existence for you?""

""Yeah, sounds about right.""

""Yeah, I don't think I will.""

""Oh, but you will.""

""I don't even know your name!""

""I guess I didn't tell you, did I? Well hello then Steve, my name is Herobrine.""