Newfound Confidence

Did you all miss Alex and Richie? What was that? I'm just the written words of the author, and no matter what you say I will be unable to respond? Well then I guess you won't mind me assuming the answer was maybe. After arriving at a cave Alex got off the horse and Richie attached the lead to a tree. Alex pet the horse lightly.

"Richie, I'm gonna collect some wood and watch the horse, will you be fine to go in the cave alone?" She asked softly.

"I think I'll be fine Alex, I know I'm smaller then most golems but I'm just as strong!" He said reassuringly. She nodded reluctantly and smiled.

"Alright, if you say so." She mumbled before getting out her iron axe and aiming at a tree. Richie watched her swing for a moment before waddling into the cave. He shivered a little as he walked down into the dimly lit abyss. He found small ores of coal and sometimes iron left behind by miner's with full pockets. He searched the lit area throughly, checking every nook and cranny for some he might've missed. When he was certain that he'd gotten it all, he shakily turned to the dark cavern ahead of him. He walked slowly into the shadows, quickly placing torches as he went and mining up ore as fast as his clunky metal hands could. He quickly came across a zombie. He shrieked and quickly picked it up and slammed it against the roof of the cave, instantly killing it. He stared at the mangled corpse in pure disgust. He was about to vomit, and yet he could look away.

"RICHARD?" He heard Alex shout. He swiftly turned around and watched her stumbling quickly towards him.

"Are you okay? Did anything hurt you?" She added as she checked him for wounds. Before he could speak up she saw the corpse. He stood up tall and she turned back to look into his eyes. She looked so proud.

"See Richie? They're easy to slay. You did it!" She praised him, and he blushed lightly.

"T-Thanks... you should probably get back to uh... Snowy though." he whispered. She smiled softly and punched his shoulder lightly.

"Alright.. you're the man Richie." She said happily before walking back up to the entrance.

Richie turned around with a newfound confidence and continued on into the cave, flinging monsters to and fro. Of course, he was still sweating intensely and breathing heavily, but at least he kept on mining. He was all giddy when he found a gold deposit, pocketing some for himself and mining the rest. He felt like it had been ages since he went down there, and so he slowly walked up. After a moment of walking he found where he'd killed the zombie, only this time it wasn't there. He glanced around quickly and nervously before running out of the cave. It was sunset by now, and Alex was extremely relieved to see him, both for his and her own sake.

"What's the rush?" She joked.

"Nothing, I was just worried about you is all."

"Awwe, I'm so flattered~"

"Yeah yeah, whatever..."

Now wasn't that just heartwarming? Oh hush I get it, I can't hear you respond. Moving on back to Steve.

He's alright, walking out in the village again after a long afternoon at the library. The sunset was always nice, the way it highlighted the village and trees. He watched the villagers rush back inside the safety of their homes to hide from the creatures that lurk in the darkness of night. He let out a deep sigh before walking home. He started to open the door before he heard happy talking a little bit behind him. He turned to see Alex talking to Richie while leading a horse to the house.

"What did a miss?" Steve questioned quickly as he motioned towards the horse.

"This is Snowy. I'm building her a stable tomorrow morning, she's going inside tonight." Alex respond without a moment's notice.

"Oh well uh, okay..." Steve said quietly. He didn't want to say no. Seeing Alex make a new friend was rare, and he didn't care if that new friend was a horse.

He held the door open for her and the horse. He smiled at Richie.

"Lovely day?" He asked softly.

"Yeah, just perfect." He responded and gave a soft nod. Steve smiled back brightly before they exchanged good nights and Steve closed the door.

He went over to the kitchen and got an apple for the horse. He handed it to Alex who thanked him before giving it to the surprisingly well behaved equine.

"You don't have to make me anything tonight Steve, I'll just eat some fruit." Alex said calmly as she watched Snowy.

"Alrighty, I wasn't even that hungry to begin with." He responded, silently standing by the door.

"What're you doing?"

"Aren't you going to get a fruit and go to your room?"

"I was going to keep an eye on her."

"Well alright. Are you sure?"

"Steve, is something wrong?"

He froze and then shook his head. He opened the door to his room, walking inside and closing it behind him. He looked at his book with a sort of guilt. He felt bad, not being able to see Charles tonight. He wondered if maybe he was extra quiet, he'd be able to sneak out. He decided it was to risky, and just changed into pjs before sadly walking to his bed and laying down. He started at the ceiling for what felt like hours. A feeling crept up upon him, and he didn't pay much attention to it until he recognized it. He felt like he was being watched. He froze and glanced around the room quickly, his eyes darting to the windows when he didn't see anything. He couldn't find the cursed pair of eyes that were gazing upon him. He pulled the covers over his head and left his mouth uncovered so he could breath. Even though he tried so desperately to sleep, he couldn't even get a wink of it. He sighed silently in exhaustion and terror. He kept his body as still as he could. He prayed that it would be nothing, but he definitely knew it was. It felt like an eternity before the feeling disappeared, but by then his eyes were watering. He shut his eyes tightly and tried to calm himself down. It's safe to say he didn't get much rest.

The next morning... no that's incorrect, the next afternoon actually, Steve got up and blinked tiredly. He threw the covers off of him and sat upright. He slouched, even as he stood up and walked to the living room. He noticed a note, a glass of milk, and a cookie on the dining table. He read it quietly to himself.

|Hey sleepy head, I managed to finish the stable with Monika before you even woke up. I'm hanging out by her farm if you need me. Oh, and I know you're probably not that hungry, but at least try to eat this.|

He glanced at the food on the table and sat down. He reluctantly ate and drank, but only because he knew Alex was worried about him. He didn't really feel like leaving the house today