二十四。莎拉

(sarah)

  "I DON'T LIKE THIS

"I DON'T LIKE THIS."

James' eyes flickered to Sarah as he took a sip from his smoothie. The twins and Sarah were currently sitting at Selena's Smoothies, enjoying a nice drink. James was relaying his latest interaction with Livia- which had gone surprisingly well, mind you- as Jack simply nodded along. Sarah, on the other hand, was a lot more sceptical.

"Sarah," Jack retorted. "When do you ever like anything?"

"I mean, it's progress." James shrugged. "A week ago, Livia wouldn't even talk to me."

"James." Sarah heaved. "It's the same as her being 'nice' to me when my parents announced their divorce- oh, don't look at me with that look. Livia isn't a good person. I would know," she rolled her eyes, "but she's not a heartless monster. She won't be mean to you when she knows you're already sad. Both of us have gone through that. It's not progress. It's just her being an empathetic person."

Jack hummed. "That's kind of true, I suppose, as much as I like to believe that Livia is finally warming up to us again. We can't consider any of her behaviour for at least a little while the real her. She'll obviously be much softer to us because of, well, Grandpa. I don't think we'll see the real her even after graduation."

That's sad. Well, not really. Sarah wasn't actively seeking Livia's forgiveness. While she hadn't been provacting Livia recently due to what the girl could use against her, it didn't mean Sarah had gone soft. Girls like Sarah Hepburn don't forgive easily. But it was sad for James, who had been going around following Livia and begging for forgiveness that would never come for months. Honestly, Sarah thought it was pathetic, but you do you.

"Can't you two be a little bit more optimistic?"

Sarah slanted him a bored look. "Where's the fun in that?"

"You're the worst."

Sarah let her mouth twist into a lackadaisical smile. "I know, and you two love me for it."

"No we don't," James grunted. "We hate you for it."

"You're still here."

"So?"

It was at this point Sarah decided it was hopeless to argue with James, who always somehow found a way to back up every ridiculous argument he brought up, so before he could reply, she changed the subject.

"So now what?"

"James annoys Livia until she forgives him," Jack scoffed. "What else?"

"That's not going to work."

"How would you know?"

"Because she's more likely to karate-kick your head off your shoulder?" Sarah seethed, shaking her head. "You were her best friend- you'd know."