二十五。世界真醜陋

(the world is ugly)

   LIVIA HASN'T BEEN IN FRANCE for a long time

Rather unfortunately, she doesn't speak French, so she had to stick with the rest of the McHills- Alicia had gone a few days before. After all, it was her father. Both of the twins and Jason speak the language, and Victoire was learning it. Livia had chosen Spanish as her third language. Chinese, English, Spanish, the three most widely spoken languages in the world- her parents liked to joke that she was unstoppable.

Ha, they wish.

Livia squinted against the sunlight as they left the airport. They had gotten here by the McHill's private jet, quite fortunately. Livia opted to sit near the very back, alone, with a book in her hands.

The McHills had everything planned and arranged, it seemed. They were going to take a car to the funeral home where the funeral would then take place. Alicia McHill had already gone ahead. Livia followed solemnly with the rest of her family.

Livia had met a few of the other members of the McHills. Delilah was a plumb and joyous woman, the opposite of the more quiet and stern Alicia. Harold Durand, on the other hand, was his sister's male counterpart. When they were kids, James often mentioned that he was scared of his uncle. Livia couldn't blame him.

The atmosphere was muted, as it should be, as they filed into the cars that filed into the airport carpark. Livia sat with her parents and sister.

She doesn't like funerals. She doesn't see a point in such ceremonies. When she grieves, she does it silently, but other people like to make a show and spectacle of it. Fine.

Even Victoire was oddly quiet as they arrived at the funeral home, her eyes glued to the ground, refusing to as much raise her little head. Her blonde hair was tied back in a little bun, and the younger girl wore a black dress that reached her knees. There was no sign of the usual energy.

Ah. So this is grieving.

While people like Livia mourned in the silence of their own homes, a solitary prison of their own making, others did it as a community. They raised their candles and lowered their heads in unison, whispering the names of those they lost.

Jason, on the other hand, walked with his usual charm, though you can clearly see that he was upset and uncomfortable as well, from the way he shut his eyes and inhaled.

Livia's eyes flickered to the twins. They stood side by side, back hunched ever-so-slightly, eyes to the front. Ah. They're trying to be a good role model for the two younger McHills.

Dylan managed to make it halfway towards the entrance before being swooped up in his father's arm.

Alicia was waiting inside. Her parents instantly swept up to her, offering their condolences. Alicia's eyes were red and puffy. She had always been close with her father. Livia offered her a polite nod and a sad smile. Alicia returned it. Pamela walked up to her, engulfing the woman in a quick hug.