The Wall - Within The Walls (1)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

The Box, 01-08-2020

W-where am I?

I hear loud noises and the floor seems to vibrate. My head hurts like hell and I feel like I need to puke.

I open my eyes and lights are flashing by. I'm in some sort of cage, which is either going up or down. It smells like raw flesh and I'm surrounded by wooden boxes.

How did I get here?

I press my hand against my head; it feels like I bumped it on my way in here. I don't remember how I got in here, but I have the feeling it wasn't fun to go inside.

I look up and see that I'm going up at full speed. The box I'm in is not slowing down even though it's almost hitting some kind of ceiling.

"Stop!" I yell, as if someone can hear me. Of course no one replies, but it was worth trying. "Help! Help, I'm... This thing won't stop!"

Suddenly the elevator stops going up. A sour taste rises from my chest and I bend forward. An impressively big amount of vomit clatters down through the grating on the bottom of the box. I cough a few times to get the leftovers from my mouth and lean back against one of the smaller boxes.

I can hear people talking and before I'm able to scream for help the ceiling opens up. Bright light of a torch shines into the box and it takes my eyes a minute to get used to the light. At least fifteen people, probably even more, are staring at me. Some of them talking to others, some of them laughing and some of them are even looking like they're angry with me.

One of them sticks out his hand. He looks like he might be the strongest of all of them.

I stare at his hand and frown.

Is he helping me to get up?

I look away from his hand and push myself up with my own hands. "I don't need your help," I say when I'm on my feet and I wipe with my hands against my jeans.

The muscular, blond man turns around at his friend and chuckles. "Wow," he says with his deep voice. "We haven't had someone so chatty since Oruo."

I frown, I have never heard that name before, but somehow I feel like I should've. Someone in the crowd of people starts talking loudly, but everyone seems to ignore him. The blond man ignores him as well and turns back to me. His face is serious and there's not even a trace of a smile on his face, but despite that he looks nice. "I'm Reiner," he says and the corners of his mouth curl up a little, but not quite enough to say that he's smiling. "So, what's your name kiddo?"

Is he being serious! Kiddo? How old is this dude? Like one, maybe two years older than... Wait my name?

I haven't even thought about what my name is yet, but I suddenly realize that I have no idea. Tears start to well up and before I know I'm crying.

"What's wrong?" a high-pitched voice I haven't heard before asks.

I look up and shrug. I see a shorter boy with quite long blond hair. I assume he's about the same age as me although he looks younger due to his large, blue eyes. The boy walks past Reiner, jumps down into the box and lands on his feet next to me. He lays his hand on my back and carefully rubs over my t-shirt with the palm of his hand.

"I-I don't remember my name," I cry and I try to wipe away the tears with the back of my hand, but new ones keep rolling down my cheeks. "Why don't I remember my name?"

"Hey," the boy whispers. "You don't have to worry, you'll remember it within a day. It's happened to all of us."

I look at the young man and nod, while wiping away another tear. I can't believe that all these young men had to go through this, it's awful to not remember your own name.