Wound - Within The Walls (2)

Hanji Zoë

Female Group, 01-08-2020

My feet lightly touch the ground with every step that I take. I can see the gate of the inner wall and start running faster. I would love to use my ODM gear to get away from the titan chasing me, but I have to keep the wound from bleeding too much.

It's already getting light outside, I shouldn't have taken my time to eat before I went outside the wall. I have to move faster otherwise the gates will close and I'd have no chance of surviving.

I carefully take my hand off my eye and groan. My hand is red of the blood I've been losing for the last half an hour. I sigh and decide to use my ODM gear.

In this situation it's either pain or death. So fuck it!

The wind that my wound catches while flying around stings and I'm almost sure the amount of bacteria that are in the air can't be good for an open wound.

By the time I reach the gate it's almost closed already, but I manage to get inside right before it closes completely.

When I land on the ground Petra and Rico immediately run towards me. They've been guarding this gate for the entire night and both look worn out.

"Are you okay, Hanji?" Petra asks.

"Yeah, what happened to your eye?" Rico follows.

"I... uhm... came across a Titan," I say and I sit down on the grass. "And I might've broken my glasses when I hit a wall or two in the process."

They both kneel down next to me. I again press my hand against my eye, but Rico pulls my arm away.

"You shouldn't touch that with your filthy hands," she says and she takes a closer look at my hurt eye. "I'm almost sure I see glass in there. I think it's better if we take you to the med-shed."

"You might be right," I admit, although I rather not admit that I need Christa and Isabel to take care of my eye. Don't get me wrong; they're amazing caretakers, but I like to use the med-shed as least as possible.

Petra gets up from the ground and helps me to get up. After that we walk to the mad-shed. It's a small, wooden building and we decided to build it when we realized that people – especially me – could get hurt. We get a monthly supply of bandages, medicines and needles anyway.

I go inside and when Christa sees me she gasps. "Hanji, wha-..."

"What happened?" I interrupt her and awkwardly chuckle. "Long story."

"Let my guess," Isabel joins the conversation. "You got a little too close to a Titan?"

"Wrong," I happily say. "Not this time!"

While I explain what happened Christa walks to the boxes to get a bandage and some alcohol to clean the wound.

I take a seat on another box and she leans in. Christa carefully drips some of the alcohol into the wound. I press my teeth onto each other and slowly breathe in through my nose. Cleaning the wound always hurts.

After that Christa winds the bandage around my eye and a part of my head. She uses some tape to secure it and steps backwards.

"Done," she cheerfully says.

"Thanks, Christa." I get up from the chair and almost bump into the wall on my way out. It's weird seeing the world with less depth. I walk outside and when I get into the light I get dizzy. I probably hit my head one too many times. I close my eye and try not to fall towards the ground.

"Hanji?" A voice asks. I open my eye. Mina is standing in front of me, there's a worried look on her face.

"Oh, hi," I answer and smile at her.

"What happened to your..." She stops talking and takes a deep breath. "Never mind. We have a small problem. The box came today, with a new girl and all." She looks around, maybe to see if the new girl isn't close enough to hear her. "But she was so hungry, she ate a week worth of our monthly food supply."

"Well," I say, not sure how to react. It's going to be hard to feed everyone when we have less than normally. "That's a first. Where's this new girl?"

Mina turns around and shrugs. "I asked Annie to give her a tour," she replies. "But I don't see them anywhere."

"Knowing Annie, she probably took her to the sleeping hall to show her where she'll be sleeping," I reply and I start walking towards the building that we sleep in.

I go inside to see that I'm right. The new girl is lying in the bed with a huge grin on her face. She seems happy, a cheerful girl. She's at least four years younger than me.

"I'm glad to see that you feel at home already," I say and the new girl looks up.

"Me?" she asks.

"Yeah, do you have a name?" I'm hoping she might remember it by now, I mean a few hours must've passed and she's already here for quite some time.

"Yes, Sasha Braus," she says. "It's weird, I didn't remember it and suddenly a voice in my head whispers it to me about fifteen minutes ago."

I know I should tell her that it's wrong to eat of our food supply, but since everyone probably told her already I decide not to tell her. I don't need to give her a speech, so I smile at her and open my mouth.

"Welcome, Sasha."