Ilse's Notebook - Within The Walls (5)

Petra Rall

Female Group, 05-08-2020

The leaves that have fallen from the trees crack underneath my feet. My shoes are covered in mud.

I'm carrying the wood that I got from the forest back to the open field, when I suddenly step on something hard. I slip on it and all the wood falls onto the ground.

I look down at my shirt, it's wet and covered in mud.

I sigh and get up again.

What did I slip on anyway?

I look down at the ground and search for the thing that could've caused my fall.

Mud, mud, leaves, mud and... wait is that what I think it is?

There's a small, leather notebook lying on the ground. It's covered in mud and that's probably why I didn't notice it.

I crouch down and carefully hold it up between my thumb and finger. I've seen this notebook before, but I can't remember where or when.

I very carefully open it on page one. Letters are written on the first page.

"This notebook is property of Ilse Langnar."

Now I remember, Ilse was always writing in this notebook. She always held it close to herself. I always thought she was keeping a journal, but when I open the book on another page I read things about THCO, the outsides, memories and a few pages that are just all in some kind of secret script.

"Alev fl!" What does that mean? I wish Ilse still was around to tell me.

I turn around and run back to the open field. I see Hanji in the farth and yell. "Hanji!" I scream, waving with my empty hand and clenching the notebook in the other one. "I found something that might be important!"

Hanji turns around and frowns. "What?"

I stop in front of her and pant for breath. "I... f-found Ilse's notebook..." I tell Hanji in between the pants.

Hanji has a confused look on her face. "And why is that important?"

"It has information in it over THCO, the outsides and it has a secret script in it titled "The Way Out"," I say and Hanji's eyes get bigger. "I think Ilse might've gotten her memories back quite some time before she got killed by that Titan."

Hanji takes the notebook from me and pages through it. "This is amazing!" Hanji shrieks of happiness. "We might finally find our way out of here!"

"Well, how are we going to decipher her secret script?" I ask.

"I don't know, but we're going to start trying from today," Hanji happily says and she closes the book. She clenches it in her hands and smiles at me. "We're finally going to get out of this place!"