CHAPTER EIGHT

I slip my bag strap onto my shoulder, walking into the gym.

I see all the sweaty boys dribbling basketballs around the court, practicing.

As I walk over to the bleachers Steve catches my gaze and I smile, giving him a small wave which he returned.

Once I sit down I pull my bag on the floor in front of me.

The gym whistle blows and the coach yells "Huddle!" The boys gather around before backing out, half of them pulling their shirts off.

|

The game had been going on for a little while and I was still sat there. That's when I realized there was barely anyone on the bleachers, just a few kids scattered around.

Billy's loud laugh pulled me out of my head as I turned my attention back to the game. Billy was dribbling the ball while Steve stood across from him, holding his arms out.

"All right! All right, all right! King Steve. King Steve, everyone." Billy announces. "I like it. Playing tough today. Is it because your girls watching?"

"Jesus! Do you ever stop talking man? Come on!" Steve replies.

Billy just laughs again, "What? You afraid the coach is gonna bench you now that i'm here? Huh?" he runs past Steve, knocking him onto the floor.

Steve falls back with a grunt, holding his side.

My eyes widen slightly as I pick my bag up, ready to go and help Steve.

Before I can get over there Billy holds his hand out for Steve, lifting him up slightly and bending down to whisper something in his ear. He pushes him back down, stepping over him and making his way over to me.

He licks his lips nervously before saying, "Meet me at my car. I'll drive you home."

Before I can argue he runs away to the locker room.

I quickly walk over to Steve who is glaring at the back of Billy's head.

"You okay?" I ask as I help him up.

"Yeah. Yeah, i'm fine." He nods, rubbing his side. "He's just an asshole."

I laugh, "You can say that again."

We say goodbye and Steve heads to the boys locker room while I head out the gym doors.

I make it to the front doors and push them open, the cool wind brushing my hair back.

I stand at Billy's car for a few moments until he appears, a small smile on his face.

"You ready?" He asks, taking out a cigarette and lighting it.

I nod, "Yup,"

"Okay, I just want to talk to you about somethi-"

"Emmie!" A worried Mike shouts, running from the middle school.

"Mike? What's wrong?" I ask as he stops to catch his breath in front of Billy and I.

"Will-he's gone. We cant find him. We need you to help." Mike pants.

"Gone? what do you mean gone?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows.

"We were searching for Dart and then he found him in the bathrooms, but he's missing." Mike rushes to say.

"Dart? Who's Dart?" I ask, completely forgetting about Billy who was standing next to me.

"This weird slug-thing that Dustin found in the trash! Look, we need to go, I'll explain later!" Mike tells me, tugging on my hands.