CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

A/N: THANK YOU FOR 4K READS IT MEANS THE WORLD!

As I looked through the crowd of children for my favorite group of kids, a slow dancing song came on.

"At least their not going to be grinding on eachother anymore." Nancy jokes as kids begin to pair up.

"I know." I laugh, my eyes scanning the area. I spot Will with some girl that I have never seen before but can't seem to find anyone else until I notice Mike sitting down, his head bowed to the ground as he stared at the floor.

Dustins curly hair catches my eye amongst the crowd, he was watching as everyone was dancing, and he was standing there. Alone.

Before long Dustin gives up on looking for a dance partner, tears streaking down his face as he runs to the bleachers.

I mutter a quick 'be right back' to Nancy before hurrying over to Dustin.

I pass by Mike on the way, quickly stopping, I crouch down infront of him, "Hey, Mike. Don't you worry, El's coming. I got her ready and let me tell you, she looks spectacular!"

Mike smiles, "Thanks, Emmie."

I pat his leg before standing up, speed walking the rest of the way to Dustin.

"Hey, Dust." I smile gently, walking through the streamers.

"Hey." He repeats, wiping his tears with his sleeve.

"You alright Dustin?" I ask, taking a seat next to him.

"Me? Yeah i'm fine." He nods, fake smiling over to me.

"Then why aren't you out there dancing, hmm?" I push, tilting my head to the side knowingly.

"Well-uh," He pauses before I cut him off.

"Dustin, I know how much you wanted to dance with Max." I sigh.

"Yeah. But I can't, Em. Lucas is." He sniffles, wiping more tears.

"I saw, but, Dustin, sometimes even though you may like someone, they aren't always going to like you back." I explain.

"Like you and Matt?" He asks.

"What-oh. Yes, like me and Matt," I chuckled, "I liked Matt and he didn't like me back, he like my sister, my bestfriend. See, we're kind of in the same situation here."

"I guess so." Dustin nodded, "But, no one wants to dance with me, Emmie. No one! I'm just some stupid loser that Stacy won't dance with."

"First off, who wants to dance with Stacy anyways-ew." I laugh, nudging Dustin as his mood slowly lightens up, "Second, you'll find someone soon, Dust. Someone who loves you as much as you love them."

"Thanks, Em. You're the best." Dustin smiles, wrapping me in a bear hug.

"Now, let me get you a dance partner." I take his hand, leading him to the punch stand where Nancy was sitting.