10. Spark of Hope

1021 Words excluding (A/N)~ Berry does not do with the owning of MK/DC~ If she did... She wouldn't be eating pasta every single day...

Please do with the enjoying~

★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡
~Yay 10K+ Words~
~Yay 1K Views~
★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡

Written August 21 2019
Posted August 29 2019

"Gah! Kaito?!?" Shinichi gasped, after regaining the breath that the other had quite literally knocked out of him.

'What's with him all of a sudden?'

"The Shinichi no leave!" Kaito let out a distressed trill as he tightly wrapped his arms around Shinichi's waist. "No take the Shinichi away!" He wailed.

'Wait, he thinks I'm going to be taken away?'

The azure mer frowned, suddenly realizing that Kaito had probably had other creatures put into the aquarium with him in the past. Since there were currently none besides the two of them, he figured that it was a safe guess that something had happened every time to result in the other creatures being removed. Shinichi gently removed himself from the other's frantic grasp, his gaze sympathetic as he clasped the other's wrists and held him at arm's length. "I'm not leaving or going to be taken away" He couldn't help but feel sorry for Kaito. "I'm the same as you right?" At Kaito's hesitant nod, Shinichi allowed himself to smile "Then there's no reason for me to leave" He added, wanting to sooth the other's worry.

'It's not healthy to always be afraid that everyone he can interact with will be taken away from him... But I can't really blame his caretakers can I? They probably had a few really good reasons for removing Kaito's company'

Shinichi heard a soft whistle and looked over to see that Shiku was leaving, having left Shinichi's food on the aquarium's ledge. He was a little grateful that Shiku was polite enough to announce his exit instead of just leaving. It showed that the other did infact acknowledge the intelligence of the two mers.

*

"The Shinichi never leaving Kaito?" Kaito inquired, tilting his head slightly to the side in confusion. He really didn't want to be alone again, especially after he'd just met the Shinichi who could talk with him.

'Love words, love talks, love the Shinichi!'

Azure eyes softened as Shinichi moved a little closer to Kaito and ran his fingers through the younger's hair. Kaito kind of reminded him of a little puppy or kitten with the way he leaned into the touch.

'Pets so nice...'

Kaito trilled softly as Shinichi continued petting his head, the azure mer using his free hand to reach up and grab the food that had been left out. The food in question was soft feed blocks, thankfully they tasted quite good, their taste and texture was similar to fish which was sort of a relief. If they were to ever head to the sea like Koizumi-San had indicated, they'd need a proper food source and fish would be an easy one.

"Kaito?" Indigos curiously looked up into azure. "I'm not the Shinichi, I'm just Shinichi it's my name, not what I am" A small, confused frown made its way onto Kaito's face.

'So confused...'

"Shinichi not a Shinichi... Kaito not a Kaito..." The indigo mer paused in thought "What are Kaito and Shinichi?" He didn't really understand, he'd always been called Kaito, so that what he thought he was. If he wasn't a Kaito, and Shinichi wasn't a Shinichi he wasn't sure what they were.

'Though... If Kaito and Shinichi same, then Shinichi would be Kaito too or Kaito be Shinichi too... This makes head hurt...'

"We are a myth—" Shinichi cit himself off, not wanting to have to explain why they shouldn't exist despite the fact that they did actually exist. "We are mermans, and Shiku is a human" He replied, it was a little weird to say since he'd never believed in the supernatural until now.

"Humans have legs, Mermans have tails?" Kaito's voice was soft as he asked, indigos directed towards the ground. Shinichi raised a brow at the odd action.

"Yes, that's exactly right, how did you know?" Kaito gave a small shrug in response.

"... Was Kaito..." Kaito trailed off, a little unsure if he wanted to continue or not "A human?" He'd often had weird sights when resting, of a world that completely confused him. It was a scary world with lots of people—Humans walking on their weird legs. Lots of black, white, and red filled those sights. It was just plain confusing! And it always left him feeling extremely lonely whenever he roused from his resting. Occasionally his eyes even stung and he felt like he wanted to curl up as small as he could.

'Don't understand...'

Azure eyes blinked in surprise at the comment, he hadn't been expecting a conversation like this just yet. "Yes, we were both humans" Shinichi breathed, trying to decipher Kaito's mood. For some reason the other looked oddly distraught. "Do you remember anything...?" He asked, hoping that the answer would be positive.

"When Kaito rests, Kaito sees weird sights of Kaito as a peo—Human... Those sights confuse me" Kaito murmured softly.

"Dreams? Kaito when you see those 'sights' you're sleeping right?" Shinichi quickly inquired before adding more clarification "You know like eyes closed and laying down? Those are dreams" Kaito pursed his lips in thought.

'So Kaito has been dreaming?'

"Dreams real?" The indigo mer asked, a little afraid of the answer. He didn't like seeing those scary things, sometimes he felt lots of pain in those dreams before they ended with red.

Shinichi ruffled Kaito's hair a bit to sooth him "Sometimes, but sometimes they're not real" Kaito crosses his arms with a huff, he really didn't like these dream things, why could they just be simple? How was he supposed to know when a dream was real? Though, he really didn't want any of them to be real. Scary was bad, he didn't want more scary.

"Confusing" Kaito whined.

*

Shinichi smiled wryly at the pouting mer, it was a little encouraging that Kaito had dreams about his time as a human.

'Maybe he's not as lost as everyone thought he was?'

Hope simmered within his chest, he really hoped that the lack of proper communication with Kaito was what made everything so much more dreary. After all, Kaito had been unable to share his dreams or even ask proper questions.

Me: Lack of communication really sucks sometimes~ This was really fun to write~