14. Unknown Fear

1009 Words excluding (A/N)~ Berry doesn't own MK/DC~

☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡 

~Yay 2K Views~

☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡☆彡★彡

Written September 8 2019
Posted September 26 2019

"The ocean?" Kaito repeated, a small thrum of fear niggling him in the back of his mind. For some reason he didn't really like that idea, despite not even knowing what an ocean was.

Shinichi nodded "Yeah the ocean" He glanced around at his surroundings. They were nice but he knew he'd get sick of them eventually "We can't just spend the rest of our lives in this tank. Even if it's a really big and nice one" He breathed, they were both bound to eventually go stir crazy if they spent centuries here, especially after Kaito's memories returned. He held back a shiver at the thought of a stir crazy Kaitou Kid. Even without his tools he'd probably find some way to create mayhem.

'With his intelligence he'd probably find some way to create water spreading dyes that don't wash off easily even in water...'

Kaito bit his lip, a little unsure "What is the ocean?" He asked. If it was to be his future living space, he needed to know more about this place called 'The Ocean'.

Azures lit up with surprise at the question, he'd figured that Kaito already knew since he already seemed to have some aquatic knowledge. It was weird that Kaito knew things such as seaweed, shells, and water, yet didn't know about the ocean. It wasn't like he had anyone to tell him what those things were "The ocean is a huge boy of water filled with countless things to discover" He replied, becoming a little excited when he rethought their future. They could go places where humans can't, and maybe even withstand levels of underwater pressure that machines couldn't. There were so many potential discoveries for them.

'If I can't be a detective anymore, becoming an underwater explorer seems like a good option. There are so many mysteries surrounding the ocean... I want to solve them all'

Indigos narrowed in confusion, that didn't sound too scary. So why was he still feeling a little uneasy about the prospect of heading into the ocean? "Bigger than this place?" At Shinichi's nod he became a little intrigued. Sure this place changed often and he sometimes got lost, but he'd always eventually memorise the layout until it changed once more "That seems fun" He admitted, pushing back his weird unknown fears.

Shinichi smirked "You'll love having the ability to roam the ocean, I just know it"

"Then why wasn't I put in the ocean when I first became a merman?" Kaito mused, if it was something so great, surely Hakuba would have put him there instead. They had apparently been close friends after all.

The azure mer winced "Hakuba was probably afraid that you'd get hurt or die" Shinichi paused, contemplating how to phrase his next sentence "He was under the impression that you weren't capable of caring for yourself out there. The ocean can be a very dangerous place" He replied, sort of understanding the blond's actions as he thought back to when he'd first met Kaito again.

'He'd probably have died within a few days at least depending on which part of the ocean he was deposited in...'

Kaito's face tinted pink "I'm capable!" He whined, crossing his arms across his chest.

Shinichi gave him a blank look "You tried to eat me"

"I-" He blushed "You were warm!" He huffed "Everything warm put in here is usually food" He trailed off "Since you were warm, I thought that you were some sort of new food" He defended.

The azure mer raised a sceptical brow "Why is it that everything warm placed in the tank is food?" He asked, already having a small suspicion.

Kaito looked away "I may have tried to eat a few things that I apparently can't" He muttered, for some reason he didn't like looking like a fool around Shinichi. It felt wrong.

Shinichi snorted "So you could have choked, poisoned yourself, or have gotten maimed if Hakuba had put you into the ocean all alone" He concluded. There were so many poisonous things in the ocean and unfortunately poisonous things are usually colourful. He could totally see Kaito being attracted to the pretty colours and dying. Though it was entirely possible that he'd see a cool creature and follow it, only for it to turn out to be a shark or something more dangerous.

Kaito pouted, unable to refute the other's claims.

*

Their morning meal had consisted of shrimp and clams, during of which Kaito had honestly surprised Shinichi with his skill at opening clams. Apparently Hakuba had spent a good amount of time teaching Kaito how to open them properly. After they'd finished eating they opted to just swim around with Kaito helping Shinichi to get used to his new body. It still felt weird for him to not have any legs but he was getting used to it. He'd also noticed that his teeth had sharpened somewhat like Kaito's.

"Shinichi!" Kaito beamed as he suddenly trapped the other within a firm hug. He was still feeling uneasy about their earlier conversation. Hugging Shinichi always made him feel better though.

'I don't like feeling uneasy'

"Kaito?" Shinichi frowned, having thought that the other had gotten over hugging him.

"I feel uneasy about the ocean, comfort me" He whined, nuzzling the older.

Shinichi raised a brow at the comment, nothing he'd mentioned  about the ocean had been really bad. "Why do you feel uneasy?" He inquired.

"I don't know, I just am" The azure mer frowned at the response. Did the other have a bad experience regarding the ocean, and he's now subconsciously feeling the fear? He's have to ask Shinku to see if the other had heard any stories. He gave Kaito a reassuring pat on the back.

'It's weird and I don't like it'

"Don't worry, I'll protect you from anything that could hurt you" He soothed, not wanting Kaito to be fearful while not even understanding the fear. It was easier to fight a fear when one knew what they were going up against. If it was unknown, logic couldn't be used as easily to help. The unknown always added another level to any fear.

Me: This was fun to write~ And yay this story has over 50 pages~

I bet you guys know what the fear is~

Hope you enjoyed~

Oh and have you guys ever watched Cardcaptor Sakura? I just finished rewatching it and it's very fun ^-^

I never noticed all the subtle 'Gay' vibes till the end when I was little

But now that I'm older >~< it's done PERFECTLY despite not being yaoi or yuri~