Thirteen

I keep forgetting that this isn't just the normal world anymore. So I shouldn't be surprised when the shelves around us started to rise. But I am. Newt, Tina, and I were trying to get out but all the shelves kept moving around us.

"Whoa!" I almost shouted when one of the shelves almost knocked me out. Newt grabbed my hand and pulled me closer to him but didn't let go in case we somehow got separated.

I was about to run to the right to dodge more pillar's but Newt yanked me back. I turned to give him a confused look until he was pushing me forward.

"Hold on," Newt said as he and Tina went towards the one in front of us.

With nothing else to do but listen, I went towards the shelf. I stood between Newt and Tina and gripped on to the bar as the magical shelf started to spin around. In any other situation, I would have looked around but I don't know what's going on and gripped on for dear life. I did get a little peek though as the shelves were twirling around each other.

Suddenly, the shelves stopped. I almost lost my grip but Tina grabbed my arm before Newt shielded me with half his body. It surprises me that he could hold on to me and the bar with one hand while his case is in the other. I heard some ruffling coming from the pillar before I heard a woman's voice. I don't know what she was saying but I could hear part of what she was saying. I heard something along the lines of the Lestrange family. Merlin's beard. Please, don't tell me that's Leta. I looked up at Newt with wide-eyes and his little nod gave me the confirmation I needed.

"Circumrota," I heard Leta said. My eyes widen as I felt the shelf rotating. It wasn't fast as it was before but it was going very slow. Newt pulled me closer to him as the shelf stopped a few seconds later. "Hello, Newt."

Merlin's beard. Tina and Newt looked over while I turned and got a quick peek. My head was still sticking up but I noticed Leta was staring right at me. Wow, she's even prettier in person. Then people wonder why I was so worried.

"Hello, Leta," Newt greeted her shyly.

Leta looked at Tina. "Hi," Tina mumbled.

Then she looked at me. I gave her a little wave as best as I could. "Hey."

Leta looked at Newt's arm around me until we heard a small growl behind her. Ok, behind her, ahead for us. The lady at the reception's desk was walking towards us with these two cat-like creatures. Matagots is what I think they're called. I couldn't think of anything as their eyes started to glow.

"Oh, no," Newt muttered. The cats started to hiss at us.

"What kind of cats are those?" Tina asked.

"Uh, these aren't cats. They're, uh, Matagots. They're spirit familiars." Ha, I was right! "They guard the Ministry."

Some of the cats were looking at me as their hissing became louder. "Newt -" I started.

"They know you're not a wizard," he answered. "They can smell it off you." I gulped. "Don't worry, they won't hurt you unless you -"

Leta pulled her wand out. "Stupefy!" she cast. A ball of light struck one of the Matagot's. But instead of one, three more took its place.

"Unless you attack them," Newt finished. The Matagot started hissing at us again.

"Oops."

"Leta," Newt called over before he pulled me closer. Tina scoots a bit for Leta to jump onto the pillar with us.

"Reverte," Leta cast again.

The shelves closed off and started to move as the Matagots pounced at us. The shelves blocked them off before we jumped down and started running. I could hear them from right behind which made me pump my legs faster. We were stopped when one of the shelves blocked our path and more started to box us in. We turned to see the Matagots closing in on us but one blocked them before they could rip our faces apart.