Chapter 7: Uninvited Guest

Before meeting Zack, I was constantly reminding myself how this cruel world always works. Not putting my guard off has always been my top priority. By doing those things, I feel safe. Knowing that I would never get hurt no matter whoever I encounter or say about me, because since that incident, I never really open myself to anyone. But not anymore. The two letter words seem so short yet so hurtful. I felt that pain. Never have I thought that I would be reminded of that feeling again. I hate feeling this way yet I can't help it any longer.

I can't cry. I have to stay strong.

Holding back my tears, I smiled weakly to Zack and said, "Zack, I think someone is calling you." I pointed on the phone screen and I think I saw Zack's eyes widened before he took his phone to his ears.

While his phone was on his ears, he stood up and walked to the living room, away from where our guests were. When he left the room, there was a moment of silent before my mom broke it by sneezing out loud.

My dad chuckled and gave her his handkerchief, "Gez, How did I even end up marrying you? You're still clumsy as ever."

My mom took the handkerchief and blow her nose really loudly. She stated, "I know. I'm THAT attractive."

"Used to." My dad replied.

"Mr Thomson, are you looking for a fight?" My mom sounds stern.

I couldn't watch their way of affection anymore, and crunch my face in disgust, "Both of you should go and show your affection elsewhere."

"Hah, you don't have to be jealous honey, You can do that to Zack too." my mom retorted.

Ah, right Zack. It's been awhile since he took his leave to answer his "honey".

"There's no way we'll be like you two. We're not THAT close yet." I stated. Wishing that they would believe and leave the topic as it is.

"I wouldn't say that babe." Zack was walking confidently while smirking.

Right now, I really didn't want to talk or see him. Hoping that from now onwards, I would love to avoid any form of contact with him. But Zack being Zack, is really an airhead.

Ignoring his presence,  I stood up and walked towards kitchen stove to start preparing for dinner. Opening the fridge, There were yesterday's pizza leftovers, some eggs, turkey bacon, lettuces and beers. I look back to the dining table and shout, "Mom, Dad are you okay with omelettes and salad for dinner?"

"Sure sweetie. But next time, please stock up some ingredients and cook something decent to cook for dinner!" My mom responded.

I didn't respond her back and start cooking for dinner. Zack took out the plates and set up the dining table for us to eat. My mom and dad were looking around the house. I swear being alone with Zack, especially now, was really awkward.

Maybe Zack could feel it too as he suddenly asked, "Hey, you okay Tori?"

I nodded in respond.

"You sure? You've been acting weird for awhile now." He walked towards where I was standing.

"Yeah. I'm fine." I reassured. I think I was saying that to myself.

I called my parents and served the dinner. I pretended to stay composed and talked like how I used to. Although it wasn't easy, I don't want to ruin dinner.

Zack was talking to my dad about some business stuff that he's currently working while my mom and I were just talking about random stuff. As soon as dinner was over, My parents went back home and once again, we were alone. Zack went straight to the shower and I went to wash the dirty dishes.

In midst of washing the dirty dishes, there was someone knocking the door.

"Zack, could you please open the door? My hands are currently full" I shouted.

There wasn't any respond.

I sighed. Probably he's still in the shower.

I turned off the tap, and walk to the front door to open the door. As soon as I open the front door, I saw a girl, probably around my age. Her body was slender and her blonde hair was perfectly styled. Her blue eyes were looking around behind me as if she was looking for someone.

"Sorry, but who are you?" I asked.

She hesitated before responding, "Does Zack live here?"

Ignoring her question, "And you are?"

Before she responded to my question, she pushed over me and shouted, "Zack, I've missed you." She ran towards Zack and hugged him.

I, could only guess, she was "her".