Chapter Three

It was just as Seth said. The alien before me stood disoriented, blinking tranquilly. I looked down into the marigold jelly that pooled around my shoes. I could see my reflection.

My long black braid fell over my shoulder, some inky strands coming loose. My jacket was ruffled and my tarnished baseball cap was nearly knocked off my head. There were bags under my shocked caramel eyes.

I was completely frozen until a shout boomed from my right.

Two guards were bounding towards us at full speed. I lurched forward and grabbed the alien’s wrist without thinking. I pulled him out of the goo and dashed for the exit.

More guards blocked my view but I sidestepped and quickly rushed past the double doors to the museum. I disregarded the fact that the alien stumbling behind me was stark naked and trudged down the stairs, practically throwing myself down the last few. I kept a tight grip on the alien’s wrist as we tumbled.

And trust me, the alien had genitals.

The guard followed us out into the chilly wind, shouting after us. I crossed the parking lot, diving behind cars and took a sharp left down the street.

My lungs burned at the exercise, but I kept going. After a while of turning and running and hiding, I collapsed behind a tree and huffed. My knees were aching and a sharp pain ran through my chest.

Without the blood rushing past my ears, I could hear the shallow panting beside me. I glanced to my left, finding the alien still in my grip. I released his wrist to find a red handprint wrapping around his pale skin. The alien’s wings were crushed behind him as he leaned against the tree.

I sighed, “I’m sorr—”

“You could have been gentler, daftá.” A lightly accentuated male voice spat from his lips.

“Wait, you know English?” I asked, my gaze locking with his. His eyes narrowed on mine, then he turned curtly.

“Of course. I know 458,217 languages.” he muttered. “Repulsive vermin such as yourself should know we do not commonly use your dirty Earthen tongue.”

That... wasn't what I was expecting.

Silence overtook us for a moment. “So you're mad that I got you out of there?” I pressed. He glanced at me, those valiant eyes striking me cold.

“I... No. I am not,” he started, voice softening, but then his arrogant tone came right back, “I stand indifferent. Lackadaisical, if you will.”

I gave him a look.

“...Don’t you dare tell me you don’t know what that means.” He turned to me, incredulous. When he realized I didn’t, he threw his head back. “You're useless! Trashing your planet and unable to comprehend your own language... Universe be damned.” After he was done ranting, I released a breath I didn’t know I’d been holding.

“I’m sorry to disappoint you.” was all I could muster. I saved this man just to get berated, huh. I felt a pang of anger at the thought. “Why are you so rude to me? I didn’t do anything to you, I was just trying to help.”

He clicked his tongue, obviously fed up with my prying. He glared at me, but then his eyes softened upon seeing the mark on my wrist. I completely forgot about it until his gaze stopped on it. “That marking. You were the one who touched my pod?”

“I felt like I had to. It was, like, calling me to you. I heard your heartbeat.” I confessed frantically, watching as his face twisted up into one of rage. His wings shimmered like glass in the direct sunlight, even though we were in the shade.

“Why did it have to be one of you?!” he screamed, getting to his knees. He grabbed the collar of my jacket and yanked me close, our foreheads knocking together. He seethed through bared canines, then sat back onto his heels and buried his face into his palms.

“I despise this wretched place...” he whined lowly.

“You've been here before?” I suggested.

“Just- Just, enough with the inquisition. I’ve had too much for today. As much as I’m disgusted to say it, I need somewhere to stay for the time being.”

Before I could offer, he spoke again. “You will allow my presence in your homestead until I find a way back home. Understood?” he ordered.

I slipped off my jacket, finally catching my eyes trailing down his fit body. I couldn't help but keep staring. I shoved the jacket into his chest, making him scowl.

"How dare you-"

"You're... naked." I stopped him before he could call me every word in the book. "People will notice you." I pulled off my cap and handed it to him, this time he was confused more than anything.

"You will not push me around like a toy." he hissed, "I don't need your lowly robes-"

"You'll need them if you don't want to be dragged back to that museum. I'm offering you freedom, here." My temper was rising the longer he backtalked. I wasn't one to get angry, as I was a patient person most of the time... But him?

He had quite the attitude.

"You'll need me to get back home. If anyone else sees you out here, who knows what they'd do to you." I added, to which he shuddered, probably thinking the worst.

I took a breath to lecture him some more, a taste of his own medicine, when he raised a hand.

His rippled alien ear flicked away a curious bee. It tapered off to a point, with little ridges running along the bottom. “Okay... I can see you want to help.” He shrugged defensively, picking up the discarded clothing on the grass. He sniffed it, then cringed.

Without commenting, he slipped the jacket over his waist, covering his groin, then turned the cap around in his hands. He examined all sides of it, then put it on backwards.

"Like this..?" he looked up at me through his lashes. The soft gaze crumbled when he suddenly looked away. "Oh what am I saying. I don't care for your opinion." He stood and allowed his wings to stretch, a golden sheen running along them.

Oh... The wings.

"Tuck the ends under the jacket." I said, getting to my feet. Now that we weren't in a panic, I realized that he was really short. The very top of his head reached my chin.

His brow twitched in irritation. "The ends to what?"

I panicked. "Your, uh, glass- wings. The wings." I stiffly pointed to the extensions on his back.

"Chitin." he barked, turning around to stare at me. "My wings are made of thick chitin and webs of vein. To call them glass is unscholarly..." he looked away and murmured, "...but flattering, for the likes of a pest."

Ignoring me with a flush, he took the ends of his wings and folded them under the jacket where it wrapped around his waist. He tried tying the sleeves around his hipbone, only to have them come loose.

I approached but he backed away with a nasty look. "Don't touch me." he huffed, trying to tie the sleeves helplessly.

"Let me help." I said. Despite his little refusals, I reached forward and tied them quickly, keeping my hands a good distance from his groin.

When I was done, he slapped my hand away. His face was redder than before.

"Look, I know you don't like me," I sighed, "but we have to get along if you want to go home." He glanced at me, silver eyes still pompous.

I fumbled with my braid as he went silent. "You're taking me back to where you reside. Escort me." He thrust forward his hand, four fingers dangling in the wind. I looked at him and tried not to laugh. He looked like a mess in only a jacket and a cap.

"Of course, your highness." I rolled my eyes. My sarcastic tone probably didn't reach him, because as soon as I said that, he gleamed.

"That's better." he responded.

__