Chapter Twenty-Four

"Someone named Elisen." I told him nonchalantly. They were a good person, so Faelin had nothing to fear... hopefully. I didn't think they'd betray us and turn into another Seth. Lord knows we already had one, and that was enough for me.

"Oh... Good. They are an essential, kind person in the royal court. For a moment, I thought my father had willingly let you into the dirtiest section of our city.. A horrible first impression." He shook his head and looked up, examining my stance next to Hakket's cell.

"And what are you doing next to the prisoner? Was he trying to sell you something? A bribe of some kind?" He raised an accusing brow, and a pout raised to those pink lips. I almost wanted to chuckle at how cute he looked like that.

"No, I approached him first. He's not a bad person, Faelin. Look." I searched around the place for a key, but found nothing. Instead, I held my hand through the bars and watched as he scampered away, his low-sunken eyes widening in diffidence. His hairless brow raised in alarm, and he stepped back from the bars.

"He can't touch me without getting scared. I'm pretty sure he means no harm." I reached for Faelin and he eyed me suspiciously, but took my hand anyway. His hand squeezed mine tightly, and I squeeze back in reassurance. "He has a lover back at home, waiting for him. He has a family and I can tell his heart is pure. This Dwarf deserves to be free." I continued confidently, to which Faelin lowered his gaze to muse.

Faelin hesitated, and for a moment I thought he wasn't going to do it, but he managed to grip the bars and summon a gout of glistening poison to eat away at the bars. The acid tore up the material as if it were fire to gasoline. In a matter of minutes, the bars were completely rotten away.

"What are those made of?" I asked, referring to the bars that once held Hakket prisoner.

"Tungsten. It is a rich and valuable element, one of the strongest." Faelin reached for Hakket and pulled him out, his hand wrapping fully around his thin lilac wrist.

"Thank you so much, Lord of Oletis. May the future bestow benevolence." Hakket did an odd bow where he shoved his hands over his heart, placed one foot forward and leaned down a bit. He looked like he was shielding himself from a blow to the face, but he eventually leaned back up and smiled faintly.

At the title, on the other hand, Faelin stiffened. His face crumpled into one of confusion and regret, his mouth pulled into a wince. "Oh... Please, do not address me that way. Yes my coronation is soon, but I'm not yet crowned." he insisted doubtfully. Even though his silver eyes were downcast, I could still see the sorrow flickering in those irises.

"I'm sorry, powerful one. Whatever it is I can do to thank you for such generosity, I will do. Guide me, for I am now yours." His droopy ears flicked upwards and his blackened eyes shimmered with gratitude. His smile broadened to reveal sharp canines at his eye teeth.

"I'm tired of this dismal place. First, let us ascend." Faelin paraded us through the somber dungeons, and out to the lift where the servant's quarters were occupied. The sky was almost as dark as Hakket's eyes, only speckled with white and the two large globes that hung low.

The servants wore almost peasant-like, medieval clothing, consisting of leather straps and soft tunics. Their buckled boots and tied shoes rested at the foot of the bed, as well as some hair accessories and spectacles on their nightstands.

"Please, let me go home. I need to return." Hakket whispered as we traversed the servant's quarters. Faelin shushed him until we were out on the balcony of the first floor. Once we hit the chilly night air, I shuddered, wrapping my arms around myself.

"You are free to go, but it'll be difficult to leave. The border is lined with dozens of guards, not to mention the magma that separates our lands. You know this." Faelin explained, turning Hakket around to observe the broken wings behind him. They were long and black, sleek to the touch. One was cut short at a slanted angle, making it nearly impossible for Hakket to fly.

"You'll have to wait until dawn. You may rest in a guest room, after I ask permission from my father." He patted Hakket's shoulder and watched calmly as he hissed in pain. "You are sore and hungry. I'll fetch you new clothes, a meal and beverages. Dain, stay here while I settle him in."

Faelin turned to me and nodded in confirmation. He swiveled on his heel and escorted Hakket back into the castle, while I only followed to the door where they disappeared. I sat down on a nearby sofa and let the stress seep out of me through a sigh. The sofa was velvety to the touch, while the pillows were lined with animal trimmings and fine satin.

It was a few minutes after that someone had entered the room. I looked up, ready to flee, when I saw Elisen and their brother, Nelei. They were chatting amongst themselves, whispering in hushed tones.

"I saw the Prince in the throne room with a Dwarven prisoner. The Lord was not happy, but accepted it anyway." Elisen muttered, a soft smile growing on their dark face. Nelei nodded, replying in an excited tone, but I couldn't make out what he said due to his thick accent. "He's finally recognizing our wrongdoings. Prince Faelinsis will be the one to reunite Silleon." Elisen trailed animatedly.

"Yes. Must practice this language. Must honor, respect his mate." Nelei jumped a little on his heels, pushing his burgundy hair behind his rippling ear. His eyes were slanted with joy, which only made me smile subconsciously. Their happiness and serenity really made me feel like I was doing something important, not making things worse.

I stood up and cleared my throat, making the both of them jump. They turned, almost in unison, and bowed to me the same way Hakket bowed to Faelin. I shook my head and dismissed them shyly. "Don't do that, I'm not even royalty." I laughed, to which they exchanged glances and smiled.

"Thank you for bringing our Prince back. I hope that human is behind our bars, in shackles preferably." Elisen approached me and shook my hand, their four fingers fitting with the spaces in mine perfectly. I gripped them before they returned their hand back to their side.

Before anything else could be exchanged between us, the door burst open with a frantic Faelin. His wings were spread apart in alarm, stiff in the air. "Dain," he gasped, rushing for me, "the coronation!" He gripped my arm so tight I could already feel my circulation fading.

"W-What about it?" I managed through a grimace.

He panicked, his chest heaving with every breath, "The coronation is supposed to be held tomorrow!"

__