Chapter Six

"Well what is it?" I asked. He peered down at me and grinned mischievously.

"Being an alchemist, I'm sure I can brew up something with certain materials around here. It'll not only let me study the properties of this land, but it'll also get me back to Silleon... hopefully."

He trailed on, "I just need ground Kagga Stalk and- oh prish, I forgot.. Your plants aren't even close to ours."

"Prish?" I repeated.

He made a face of absolute disbelief. "You did not just swe- oh. You're a human, of course you don't know. 'Prish'... It's used as a.. curse." He scratched his neck reluctantly, face tinted a faint shade of crimson.

"Oh. Like our swear words?"

He blinked at me, then grimaced. "Sure."

_

We ended up going on a stroll while he looked for certain ingredients. I've never seen him so adventurous before; I guess he was really curious about this place.

"Oh, I forgot my field guides. I think one potion included newt blood and mammoth rye." he cringed while he spoke, "The warmth in the blood will denature the proteins to form a stronger bond... I can't remember what that bond was called."

"Don't you need a chemistry set for that?" I asked, to which he stopped in his tracks completely. I could tell he was on the verge of imploding, just by the frustrated look on his face.

"Yes... The station must have specific tools and, by the Gods above, completely spotless glass. Just a bit of cross-contamination could corrupt the whole process."

"My high school has a lab you can use. I have advanced chem for 3rd period." I offered. Now that I thought more about it, that was going to be hard. I could disguise him, but that would be incredibly dangerous.

"That'll be risky." Faelin sighed. He crouched down and sniffed a few wildflowers. Instead of picking the whole plant, he swept back the large honey petals and plucked the fuzzy growths on the pistil.

"I'm sure the minerals in this pollen will help with the brew. This is a..." he inspected it closer, "daylily, maybe. I used to have a tome all about the various plants on Earth. It's fascinating how diverse this world is."

I took a moment to study the curious, awed expression on that normally sour face. But he caught himself and hardened his demeanor. "I-I mean, humans were an exception."

"I might need mammoth rye. The hydrogen peroxide inside would certainly help against diluted liver.." he muttered to himself. He seemed to be stuffed deep in his own thoughts.

"About that alchemy lab..." I mentioned. He shot me a tetchy glance, clearly showing his disinterest. I went on, though. "What all would you need? The whole thing, or just tools?"

"I require oil for lighting a small flame. Then I'll need a series of funnels, probably a few vials and cylinders to store each solution. I think I had a mortar and pestel on hand when I left Silleon, but I can't recall where they went." he explained in frustration.

"Maybe they're still at the museum." My suggestion made him start. I could see the conflicted feelings in those enigmatic eyes, the orbs of platinum that struck coldly whenever they had the chance.. They were beautiful, in a way.

"We can look for them." I said again. He stared at me for a moment, as if he were comprehending what I said. Then he turned away silently, seemingly satisfied.

"No, you'll look for them while I fetch ingredients. Some hand-made mixtures will have to be created and they time to settle."

"What do you need for those?"

"Half a tablespoon of ground lentil, one-fourth cup of desaturated mercury, white stag fur and a flowered guava to make Cagar." He counted on his fingers while he spoke.

"Flowered what?" I cocked my head to the side and he scrutinized me intensely.

"It's an Earthen tropical fruit... Guava."

I just stared at him. I didn't get out much.

"Prish off, you eyesore! Muckdwellers like you should learn the prishing- ah.." He stopped himself from going any further. This boy had the mouth of a trucker, and he was supposed to be a prince for crying out loud.

"Anyway. Are you going to go get my things or not? I'd like to be well on my way without an ignorant human on my wings." he scoffed.

"It's too dangerous to leave you by yourself with everyone looking for you. Stay at home for now, then-"

He interrupted me with a bark. "A prince can do what he wants. He has authority over-"

"You may be a prince, but that doesn't mean you're allowed to throw yourself into danger. As royalty, you should be protected at all times, right? So stay at home, just for now." I spoke up for once, making him pause. He looked at me for a while, eyes turning soft. His shoulders slackened and his face relaxed, as if he were melting.

He looked away dolefully, which was unlike him. "Fine." he simply replied. His voice held no malice. While I was sure he seemed to be tame for once, he strode off back the way we came. I followed until I knew he was safely inside, then I returned to the museum by foot.

Oh.

I saw my car sitting in the farthest corner from my last visit, and I still had my keys at home. I walked past it and looked up to the towering structure, the same bronze pillars bringing back frantic memories.

Inside, the place looked cleaner than the last time I saw it. There wasn't any orange goop all over the ground, no panicked citizens, and especially no naked alien boy in the middle of the chaos.

I glanced around me, making sure the guards didn't recognize my presence. I had to blend in with the others.

I looked around the place, scanning over dinosaur bones and artifacts. I found a little display case beside a plaque with information on it.

"Items found alongside an alien specimen that fell as debris from Asteroid 2015 EG on September 3rd, 2016. Further study required."

On the glass shelf inside, sat a hand-stitched bag. Foreign herbs and plants spilled out of it, including speckled fungi, bright flowers and spices compact in fine pellets. Some were even glowing ominously.

Those must have been his.

I was stealing from a museum... again.

__