Chapter Twenty-Five

I rushed to the throne room with Faelin quickly trailing behind me. He was slower on foot, but I knew his wings were tired. They barely moved, only twitching in reaction. The throne room was like a ball room, wide and spacious. Gold and blotches of crimson hung around the room, along with intricate paintings and pillars that supported the domed ceiling.

A long, grey carpet of velvet draped its way to the throne, which was decorated in thin golden runes, curves and indents. The backside of the seat towered high, and curved sideways at the top. The entire room was lit with glittering sconces that flickered occasionally.

I expected to see someone occupying the throne, only to find it empty. Instead, guards were lined along the carpet, their wings poking through thick plated armor. A display case in front of the throne was opened to display two chain circlets of silver. There were both diamonds and gleaming crystals decorating the pieces of headwear.

“What are those?” I asked Faelin when he caught up to me. He huffed and place a hand on my shoulder, taking in the scene before us. The alien gasped gently, just a slight hitch of breath, while he approached a man that lingered to the side, silently.

He walked up to him and bowed, “Did you know that my mate was human?” he asked the man. His circlet was golden, small chains trailing down the sides of his angled face. His long, rosy hair reached the pits of his knees. A long, white robe was draped around his thinner frame, along with a familiar sash of fuschia… I recognized him from the vision.

Was that his dad?

“Yes. I sent you to Earth, for a second time, to find him. I did not expect that other boy to take advantage of your first visit. I was frantic at the discovery of your... special race, and I sought for aid. The human told me he knew something that we did not, so I sent you down without knowing the consequences.” His voice was raspy and baritone.

His father gave a regretful smile, one that reeked of despair. His wings were tucked nicely behind him, large and blooming like a flower petal. They were tinged pink, mixed with a flurry of tangerine swirls near the tips.

"As the next Lord, you must lose your virginity to your mate." His father told him, to which Faelin flinched back and gasped sharply. His eyes were fearful. I couldn't help but wince at the sight.

He didn't want any of this.

"Father, you must find someone else.. I-I don't--"

"It is your destiny, boy. You are not Faelinsis Zyldi for nothing." He snapped in such a menacing tone that even I faltered. His voice sounded like a guttural growl that vibrated in his throat.

"But father--"

"No. You will rule this kingdom by tomorrow. This is not your choice to make."

With that, he sauntered away in long, powerful strides. His boots clicked against the tesselated floor as he vanished around a corner.

Faelin’s wings snapped open in annoyance, then fluttered back to where they were beforehand. “Prish.” he muttered, to which a few guards silently flinched at the word.

“I don’t want to be Lord. I can’t make reasonable deals, or professional trades.. I couldn’t handle a war at my fingertips. I just want my alchemy shop and potions.” Faelin gave a quiet whine, then worriedly turned to me. “We'll have to deal with it tomorrow. You have to say no to the proposal, understand?” He hastily reached for my hand, but I pulled it away.

“Why would I say no?” I asked hesitantly. My heart picked up pace, in both fear and anger. My voice was trembling a bit.

“I...” he stopped, eyes analyzing me. “I thought you didn’t want this either. The responsibility of monitoring an entire population... It’s intimidating.” Faelin gave me a weak look. He was frantically searching my eyes for a reason. He was feeling for me in the dark.

“It’ll be hard at first, but I’m sure it’ll be fine.” I reassured him.

“Don’t you want to go home? Once the coronation is over, you’re bound here.. I wouldn’t want you to be homesick.” Faelin retracted his hands, leaving them by his side. My heart stung a little, watching his bashfulness. He was unsure, no, unwilling. He was completely against the simple idea of becoming Lord.

My palms found his marred wrists, sliding down to his hands. I ran my fingers over the rough skin at the backs of them, then stopped at his knuckles. I stepped closer and pressed a chaste kiss to his forehead. “Are you okay?” I checked, to which he shook his head quietly.

“I’m sorry.. I can’t handle this.” He gently pushed away from me, squeezing my hand one last time before letting go. Faelin fluttered his wings a few times, still unable to fly, so he strode off the way we came. I had no choice but to follow, where he trailed up a long spiral staircase, one that seemed endless.

In the empty space between the rings of stairs, a circle of bright blue magic flowed upwards in the middle of the staircase. I approached and reached a hand into it, feeling a force push my hand upwards. I quickly jerked back and resolved to using the stairs.

Halfway up, I ran out of breath and my knees gave out, buckling under me. I sat down and huffed, looking out a window that ran along the entirety of the stairwell. I was above the clouds, and the winds were wild at this height. My lungs squeezed in protest of the lack of air. “Faelin,” I called in a wheeze, to which he whirled around and gasped, finally noticing my presence over his worries.

“What the prish are you doing, following me?! I told you the air was thin up here!” he rushed down the stairs to help me up, hurling my heavy body over his shoulder.

“You eyesore... Are you really that concerned for me..?” He shook his head with a soft exhale. “Dain, why would you follow me up here? You knew the consequences, didn’t you? The elevator is there for a reason..!”

“Yeah, but still... I didn't know.. what it was.” I breathed out weakly, feeling my throat begin to burn. I groaned and rested my head against the cook of his neck. “Where were you going? Please don’t tell me-”

“Relax, Dain..” he chuckled a bit before urging his wings to move. They twitched, then began to buzz. He winced, but pushed himself to carry me through the rest of the stairwell. “I was just returning to my bedroom.”

“Can I see-?” My voice gave out and my chest pushed harder to breathe clearly.

“Once you drink a potion for the air up there. You won’t survive long, being that high up.”

__

Short chapter :')