Chapter Nine

Once the storm died down, we made our way into the woods. When I aimed my mind back at the reason we were out here, I had to ask.

"Did you collect any water?"

He stared at me, wide eyed, then cursed under his breath. He took a great heaving breath, then exhaled after a while. "No, I hadn't. I was too caught up in explaining useless things. I can find a pond or river nearby, or just a puddle will do."

He wanted to keep going but my legs ached. I hadn't walked so far in a long while. I set up a foldable chair that I had in the side of my backpack and rubbed out my sore ankles. My socks and shoes were wet and I wasn't going to wear them until they were warm and dry.

"We can set up a fire; I have a lighter." I suggested.

He told me, "The wood is still too damp to light. It stopped raining, what, half an hour ago? That's not nearly enough time to let it dry out."

I shook my head, determined to start a fire--or anything to keep us relatively warm--immediately. "You go on ahead. I'll find a way to get some warmth around here. We can set up a camp for the night. I'm just... tired from all that's happened." I took a moment to let out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding. The sigh that escaped me was heavy. He stared at me for a minute, then growled.

"No, you can't just-... Oh, fine. I'll be back." he stood there, despite declaring to leave. He kept glancing at me, shivering. I looked up to him and shrugged off my coat, draping it over his shoulders.

"Oh, wait, you don't have to-" When I rubbed my hands along his arms, he went silent. I wanted to warm him up, since the poor thing looked like he was going to freeze at this rate.

"It's cold out. I don't want you getting sick." I said.

"But what about you?" he asked with a caved brow. "You need it as much as I do."

"I'll be fine. I have a blanket in my bag. I'll start setting up our little nest while you collect the water." I grinned at him, causing his face to flush crimson.

"Got it."

_

While I dried up the area around our things, I set up a tent. On the inside, I packed the bottom with thick blankets and sleeping bags to keep up warm and dry. I kept the tent down with nails and rocks.

I tried using a lighter to start a fire but it was to no avail. As Faelin said, the wood around here was still damp. I resulted to lighting scraps of paper from last school year, that I happened to have in Faelin's bag.

I forgot to take them out... I think it's best that I didn't.

I got a decent fire to start, but it was more smoke than flame. I made sure to keep it far from the trees, except a low hanging branch to hang my socks and sneakers on.

A few minutes passed as I sat there, huddled in a blanket on a foldable chair. My phone was dead and the wind was picking up. As it sang to me, the fire died down a bit. My only source of light was nearly smothered when Faelin came back, approaching from the surrounding thicket of trees.

"I got a fair amount of puddle water. Wildflowers or berries could complete the process." he noted. As he approached, he slowed down to take in the sight of my camp. It was completely different from when he left, and I was proud of what I've done.

"Woah. It looks..." he stopped suddenly, "I mean, it's okay for a night." His eyes rolled to the back of his head and he plopped down in the spare chair next to me.

"Thanks. I think it'll be nice to spend some time out here. It feels good to get out of the city for once." I explained with a content smile. I knew he wasn't much of a technology person, so I thought this would be better for him to calm down.

"You're actually not as horrible as I thought you would be. My irritation levels are subsiding... Slowly, mind you." Though his gaze softened a bit, that same agitation lingered at the backs of his eyes. I knew it was there. He wasn't through with me yet.

"You're not bad either. I mean, you're really stingy, but I think I'll get used to it." I finally let that go. His response was just like him too.

"Oh don't call me that, pest."

_

When nighttime arrived, the fire died out. The crickets started chirping and the birds huddled up in their nests, as we did in ours.

He took off his shirt inside the tent, letting his wings flutter out. The glassy forms shuddered and spread, flapping a few times to stretch out.

He laid down and covered himself up, snuggling against the ground. I settled down beside him. In the dark blur I could see the alien shift away from me.

"Are you cold?" I asked out in the silence. He flinched at my voice, craning his head to look at me, and nodded silently. "Come here then. We have to stay warm."

He turned on his other side and shuffled closer. The alien hesitated, but eventually snuggled up to my chest with his hands stuffed between us. My heart throbbed at his warmth.

"My father would be so disappointed," he muttered, "if he were to see me cross skins with a human. But, why does it feel fine? Is it... Nevermind." I stayed silent while he pondered aloud.

"It's warm. I can hear a heartbeat. A heartbeat is the animal's purest charm." His voice became soft and vulnerable.

"I like this too." I replied, cutting him short. I placed a hand on his shoulder and pulled him closer. He stiffened a bit, but gradually slackened against me, eyes fluttering shut.

"I didn't say I liked it." sighed the elf.

"You said it was fine." I chuckled, to which he pressed a fist against my chest, tapping a few times.

"Don't make me regret this, human."

"It's Dain." I raised a hand to pet his hair, but I stopped myself. He would have probably slapped me away and slept on the other side of the tent.

I really didn't want him to freeze overnight.

"Right. Whatever. Dain. What a name.. Foolish." he grumbled. His voice faded into soft silence, then to slow, deep breathing.

"Night, Faelin." I smiled and tugged myself closer to the sleeping alien.

__