14

Roddy stared at herself in the mirror.

The maids played with her hair and makeup as she boringly played with her fingers in her lap. The gold dress hugged her body in the hip and bust area, exhibiting her lean figure. Unfortunately, the silver dress she had purchased earlier had two many blood stains on it to be considered "fashion."

Roddy thanked the maids as they left and was again met with silence. She stood up in her five inch heels and strutted down the hall and into the bedroom that she was all too familiar with.

"Roddy! You look astonishing, Darling. It's nice seeing you here." Roddy smiled softly at the man in front of her. She looped her arm through his as they got ready to descend the stairs together.

It was going to be a long night for her.

★★★

Brody fiddled with his tie, having trouble looping it.

"Here, let me help." Raina gently removed his hands from the "stupid piece of fabric" as he called it. She made it look perfect in no more than seven seconds. Brody's eyes softened and he shot her a look full of gratitude.

"We're leaving in five minutes. Make sure you're all prepared." Ziva exclaimed as she ran around, rapidly searching for her other shoe. "Aha!"

When the four boys and three girls finally were all assembled in the living room, Kai looked around with a slight smile on his face. He couldn't wait to see Roddy, especially in the dress she had bought earlier that day.

"Where's Roddy?" Kai was a bit worried, but the smile rested on his face nevertheless.

Until the doorbell rang.

Raina rushed to open it and her face dropped. She looked over her shoulder at Kai guiltily. Ziva and Winslet knew who was there as well judging by their scowls.

"Hey guys! Who's ready to party?" A short redhead with a light green dress that matched her eyes waltzed through the doorway. Her eyes glazed over when she saw Kai. "Who's that hunk over there?" She whispered quite loudly.

Kai furrowed his eyebrows.

Where was Roddy?

"Meet your date for the night." Winslet threw Kai a brittle, close lipped smile. He wanted to question the quiet girl's sarcastic tone, but he chose not to because she probably wouldn't answer.

"Where's Roddy?" He asked again, the worry growing on his face. Raina and Ziva glanced at each other. Ziva raised her eyebrows and gestured her head towards Raina, as if telling her to tell him.

"Roddy is uh," Raina looked for the right words, "attending to other business tonight. We'll probably just catch her there." Kai clenched his jaw. He offered a mirthless smile and his arm to the awaiting redhead.

"I'm Stella." The redhead introduced, the glaze still present in her green eyes. Kai did have to admit she had nice eyes, but they weren't the ones he wanted to see.

"Kai." They followed the other pairs out the door and into a limousine.

It was going to be a long night for him.

★★★

"Is everybody clear?" Ziva muttered into the earpiece, swaying as her and Diego danced to the gentle music in the background.

Diego gazed at the resplendent girl below him. He loved when she used that authoritative tone of hers. He adored independent women and the confidence they carried with them. Diego found it to be nothing short of pure elegance.

No more than twenty feet away stood a brooding Kai. He was swaying to the music, but even close to following the beat. The redhead he held in his arms seemed to be having the time of her life.

That made one of them.

Kai closed his eyes and sighed, thinking of the fun that him and Roddy had at the mall. From helping Roddy shop to the adrenaline from getting to beat up the guys, he loved it all. Nothing was wrong with Stella, but she just wasn't Roddy.

"And the countdown begins now." Winslet snarkily said into her earpiece. She wasn't a woman of many words, but she did enjoy the occasional drama. When she wasn't involved, of course.

The music stopped.

All attention turned towards the stairwell.

Kai could faintly make out a man in an all black tuxedo with a gold clip on his tie and as well as a gold flower clipped to his tux. What he saw next made his heart drop.

Roddy took the man's awaiting hand with a smile and descended down the stairs with him. They seemed to be well acquainted by the way they gracefully stepped together. It was almost as if they were one.

That had to have been rehearsed.

Kai's heart and fist clenched painfully, but he continued watching anyway. The metallic fabric acted as a second skin to her already dewy complexion. He couldn't deny how well the gold dress fit Roddy.

He also couldn't deny how well the pair looked together.

Kai felt fingers push his face downwards and he was left staring at Stella, who was completely confused as to what was happening.

That made two of them.

Stella continued to try and cheer Kai up, but there was no bringing him from the slums by that point. His night had been completely ruined. The redhead attempted to slow dance with him and Kai wasn't having it.

Stupid girl.

"Kai, I know you're very confused, but you have to keep your head in the game. Alright? Everything will be explained in due time." Kai scoffed, as if that was supposed to make him feel better. It was just a silly little crush, he'd get over it.

"On the count of three, Cale and Winslet." Ziva muttered into the earpiece after a moment. She really hoped that Kai had paid attention, there was no room to mess up now.

"Three backwards or forwards?" Brody asked, a little puzzled. A  faint slap and a "hush" could be heard over the earpieces. "What? It was a genuine question." He groaned.

"One." People whirled and twirled across the dancefloor. Large circles of bright, exotic colors appeared as women were spun by their dance partners.

"Two." The music sped up as the lights began to slightly dim. It was a full moon and the natural light penetrated through the large windows on the wall.

"Three." Winslet grinned.

Four knives flew down from the balcony.

Five screams were heard.

"Boo yah! You owe me ten bucks!"