01

Raina furiously scribbled.

Her aunt's fashion show was coming up soon and Raina was not willing to show up empty handed. However, her lack of work ethic and procrastination said otherwise. Raina enjoyed working under an unusual amount of stress - she felt as if the stress made her do better.

As she finished up her tenth outfit, her mother showed up in the doorway, a smile of warmth showing through. Mrs. Tamotsu loved Raina and found her to be a blessing she was undeserving of. Mrs. Tamotsu saw how the other wealthy kids turned out; she was grateful Raina was different.

"Mom, I love you, but you're kinda creeping me out." Raina slightly swivelled, an imprint of a smile on her face. Her smile was radiant and glowed even in the dim room.

Raina's Japanese mother and German father had given her the best of both worlds, making her highly sought after in the modelling industry. However, Raina preferred to make the clothes, not wear them.

"Sorry, Hun. Your dad and I have to get going. The plane is departing in an hour. I love you." Mrs. Tamotsu gripped her daughter in a tight embrace as she gently kissed her forehead. Raina's dad heard them from down the hall and entered the room, tiptoeing as quietly as he could.

"Bear hug!" Mr. Brauer wound his arms around the two of them as he rested his head on Raina's shoulder. Having only one child was the best decision he had ever made, but it resulted in the growing up process being harder than it had to be. He treasured these moments with his darling.

"Bye guys." Raina tensed up as she followed her parents down the winding staircases. Her palms shook and her subconscious yelled at her, but she shook it off. Raina offered her parents a departing grin as their chauffeur drove them to their impending doom.

Those were Raina's last words to them.

★★★

The funeral was gloomy.

The darkened clouds hung low in the frigid air as the mass of black swarmed near the two rocks in the back of the cemetery. Raina stood in the front, beside the pastor she had never met. She pulled up her overcoat as her tears continued falling at a steady stream. Many had already offered their condolences, but Raina became deaf as she received the news.

After the service, Raina remained in the cemetery, staring lifelessly at the two pieces of stone in front of her. She had always considered her parents to be her rocks, but that was not how she meant it.

"Funerals suck." Raina could not find the strength to lift her head. She simply nodded, pretending to acknowledge the comfortless words as she had the entire week.

"People come and go; why spend so much money on something that is bound to happen? Seems like a waste to me." Raina's head shot up at the insensitive words.

"Excuse me? My parents -" The stranger's eyes' crinkled and her mouths upturned. A slight chuckle came out of the stranger's mouth and her grin widened.

"Yeah, yeah. They deserved the best. Glad I got your attention." Raina took this chance to study the stranger's raven hair and dark blue eyes, an interesting combo. She was pretty enough to model for Raina's aunt. And Raina's aunt was picky.

"I'm Roddy, nice to meet you." Roddy stuck out a well pedicured hand as she awaited Raina's small one in return. Raina tentatively offered her hand and shook it, unknowingly locking in her future.

And so it began.